What are you baking the week of July 28, 2019?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you baking the week of July 28, 2019?

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I baked my Lower Saturated Fat, Whole Wheat, Sourdough Cheese Crackers on Friday morning, from the dough I mixed up last week. The extra flax meal doesn’t appear to have affected texture or taste.

BakerAunt
      Participant

This Saturday evening, I'm baking Bernard Clayton's Dark Grains Bread, from his New Complete Book of Breads, a recipe that I've been tweaking but have not baked since last September. I read over my notes and made a couple more changes. I'll add a note tomorrow, after we slice into a loaf for lunch, about taste and texture--and also about whether I'm ready to post my revision of the recipe.

BakerAunt
        Participant

I didn't get as much rise out of this bread as I recall in the past. Possibly it was my alteration, but I also noticed less of a rise with the Grape Nuts Bread I baked two weeks ago. I'm wondering if I need to lower the oven rack, which seems to be above the middle, when I bake bread. I don't seem to be getting that final oven spring. The loaves seem the same size when they come out as when they went in, but I don't think that I've let them rise too long.

The bread tastes good. The crumb is good, but it is not as light as in the past.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by BakerAunt.
        Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.