What are You Baking the Week of July 16, 2017?

Home Forums Baking โ€” Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of July 16, 2017?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I hope to be baking by the end of the week, but here's the thread for others' posts.

Spread the word
      navlys
      Participant

Ok. I baked brownies ( 9x9 ) and added 1 1/2 tsps. of ancho chile powder and 1/2 tsp chipotle powder and 1 1/2 tsps. of cinnamon. If I do this again (because these additions do ramp up the flavor) I would MAYBE add a pinch of chipotle powder or none, but I would add the other powders.

Joan Simpson
        Participant

Baked a double batch of Cinnamon rolls throwing in some left over sour cream mashed potatoes was some of the best I've ever baked.Had one with coffee this morning and still very moist!Haven't been baking a lot lately.

BakerAunt
          Participant

I am finally able to bake! On Saturday, I used Donna German's Austrian Malt Bread recipe that Mike has often recommended, but I made a few changes. I substituted in 3/4 cup of buttermilk for that much water. I used 1 cup whole wheat flour, 1 cup bread flour, and 1 cup KAF AP flour. I used 1 1/2 Tbs. honey instead of sugar. I reduced the salt to 1 1/4 tsp., and the yeast to 1 tsp. regular and 1 tsp. special gold. (I brought it here in a cold chest, so I'm going to use it!) I've not unpacked my mixer yet, so I used the bread machine for the kneading. The bread rose quickly, due to the humidity and the special gold yeast. It baked into a beautiful 8x4 inch loaf. I look forward to sampling it tomorrow. We actually had to eat a loaf of the store-bought stuff this past week. ๐Ÿ™

• This reply was modified 6 years, 9 months ago by BakerAunt.
            cwcdesign
            Participant

Glad you arrived safe and sound, BA.

Tomorrow we head out for Massachusetts by car and Will left his job at Jos. A. Bank today, so he will take some time off.

On Thursday, I baked him some brownies for his boss because they are close. She loves milk chocolate- you know I'm a dark chocolate fiend. So I made a batch of KAF Fudge Brownies using the triple cocoa blend from KAF. My espresso powder completely solidified in the jar (I won't tell you how old it was) so I added extra vanilla. Then I used milk chocolate chips instead of semisweet. After they cooled, I made milk chocolate ganache for the top. We put them in the fridge overnight and then cut into small brownies. She was thrilled and said they were perfect and she'll probably freeze most of them

Joan Simpson
              Participant

BakerAunt glad you're home and baking again.Let us know how the buttermilk is in the Vienna bread.I've made it a time or two and like it also.I'm thinking of replacing buttermilk for the whole milk to the next batch of cinnamon rolls.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

I've tinkered with the flours in that recipe a lot, I especially like it with some rye flour added.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

Joan--I use buttermilk in the place of regular milk and often most of the water in my yeast baking. S. Wirth's comments about it convinced me to give it a try. Buttermilk makes it tender, and improves its keeping qualities. I use honey in place of sugar for similar reasons.(That hint came from Cass.)

I wanted the bread to have a soft texture, which is why I used only the 1 cup of bread flour. More bread flour seems to make it firmer. My husband has told me he would like firmer for sandwiches, so next time I may try half whole wheat and half bread flour. I had a slice today with the last of my soup from the freezer. (That was Cass's mother's spinach-lentil soup, although I ended up having to use black beans.)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.