What are You Baking the Week of August 25, 2019?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of August 25, 2019?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I'm debating whether to make zucchini bread or a zucchini cake tonight, as we are out of desserts and will need to default this evening to frozen vanilla yogurt (low-fat, of course).

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by BakerAunt.
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

I made 2 loaves of Buttermilk potato bread and it turned out very well,was 4 & 1/2" tall,will cut it later.I didn't mean to like my own post smh I was trying to edit and say I used up left over mashed potatoes that I had in the freezer for this bread.

It has cooled now and I cut it,very good and good crumb.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by Joan Simpson.
        • This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by Joan Simpson.
        BakerAunt
        Participant

Don't feel badly about liking your own post, Joan. I've done that to my posts at least twice. I'm not letting myself hover over the clicker anymore until I get where I'm going!

On Monday, I baked two loaves of my Buttermilk Barley Whole Wheat Grape Nuts Bread. It's one of my husband's favorites, so it shows up a lot in the baking rotation.

I also baked 5 mini-loaves of my adaptation of Ken Haedrich’s Whole-Wheat and Oatmeal Zucchini Bread, from his book, The Harvest Baker (p. 50). I first baked it last year. At that time, I reduced the salt to ½ tsp., added 1/3 cup powdered milk (the granular kind I’m trying to use up), replaced the milk with buttermilk, and deleted the citrus zest. I used pecans instead of walnuts. This year I made some further tweaks. I’d added 3 Tbs. flax meal last year; this year I added 4 Tbs. I used old-fashioned oats. I reduced the vanilla to 1 tsp., and I reduced the granulated sugar to ¾ cup (same as the brown sugar). I reduced the oil to ¾ cup and increased the buttermilk to ½ cup. They bake up nicely in mini-loaf pans that are about 6x3 inches. (Remember those Baker’s Secret ones?) I had an odd squash from the farmers market that has a particularly long slender, curvy neck. The vendors told me that it is like zucchini. It’s nice, because the neck does not have seeds, and it gave me the 2 cups of shredded squash I needed. (I’ll save the rest of the squash for soup or stir-fry.)

I sprinkled the tops of the loaves with demerara sugar before baking. I've frozen three of them, and left the other two for dessert over the next couple of days.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by BakerAunt.
          BakerAunt
          Participant

Just a note to say that we liked the Whole Wheat and Oatmeal Zucchini Bread. It is plenty sweet without the sugar I deleted, and the replaced oil is not missed.

skeptic7
            Participant

I did a chocolate cinnamon quick bread in the slow cooker this morning. Came out fine after about 2 1/2 hours.

BakerAunt
              Participant

On Saturday, I tried another version of the KAF recipe, “Lemon Blueberry Cornmeal Cakes.” When I baked it a couple of weeks ago, making some significant changes, it was far too lemony and that overpowered the blueberries. I decided to make it in an 8x4-inch loaf pan this time, since I don’t have any of THE Grease mixed up, so I didn’t want to do a Bundt pan. This time, for the flour I used ¾ cup AP and ½ cup barley flour. I added 2 Tbs. BRM powdered milk and 1 Tbs. flax meal. I used just 1 Tbs. lemon juice and added ½ tsp. vanilla. I used ½ + 2 Tbs. EACH canola oil and buttermilk. I sprinkled the loaf with demerara sugar. I baked it for about 38 minutes, when it tested done, cooled it for 10 minutes in the pan, then turned it out onto a rack. We had some for dessert this evening. It is a slightly sweet bread that is definitely better with less lemon and a bit of vanilla. The original recipe includes a glaze, so that may be why the cake/bread is not overly sweet.

I also baked my lower-saturated fat version of Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers from the dough I made last week.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.