What are you baking the week of April 22, 2018?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you baking the week of April 22, 2018?

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Other than using KAF gluten-free flour and adding a little additional Xanthan gum, I didn't change anything. (I'm not sure I needed the extra Xanthan gum, the batter came out rather thick, I probably should have added a bit more buttermilk to thin out the batter a bit, though I'm tempted to add another egg next time, which I think would make it more brownie-like.)

It did seem to take a little longer to bake.

IMHO, the real secret to this cake is to put the frosting on low heat after mixing it and pout it on the cake while the cake is warm. I aim for both the cake and the frosting to be between 130 and 140 degrees when I frost it. This causes the cake to compress a bit, but that makes it seem richer.

BakerAunt
      Participant

Friday afternoon, I again baked the Espresso Brownie Bites, using the recipe that came with my Nordic Ware Bundt Brownie pan. I thought that they were slightly bitter the first time that I baked them, so I cut the Espresso powder from 1 1/2 Tbs. to 1 Tbs. this time. It may be, as the recipe is meant to be served with a caramel sauce that the bitter taste was to play with the sweetness of the caramel. It may also be that KAF's espresso powder, which I used, is powerful.

I'll add a note after we have them for dinner tonight.

And why am I baking this recipe again, so soon after the first time? We still have vanilla ice cream in the freezer, and these go well with it.

Promised Note: The recipe is definitely better with less Espresso powder.

• This reply was modified 6 years ago by BakerAunt.
        Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

I'm making pizza tonight, using the Roman dough recipe in Peter Reinhart's "American Pie" book. (This is an ultra-thin dough recipe.)

BTW, Peter has a note on his pizzaquest blog, he's working on a pan pizza book.

BakerAunt
          Participant

Saturday afternoon, at my husband's request, I again baked the Havremel Flatbrod (Oatmeal Flatbread) from Bernard Clayton, Jr.'s Complete Book of Small Breads. I've discussed it in a separate thread, "Oatmeal Flatbread" in the Baking forum.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.