Washington Post story on vertical hydroponic gardening energy usage

Home Forums Gardening Washington Post story on vertical hydroponic gardening energy usage

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

These are becoming more common, but are they good for the environment? Yes and no.

https://wapo.st/3TTNcxf

Spread the word
      chocomouse
      Participant

Interesting article. I live about 1/2 mile north of a hydroponic tomato farm which has solar panels for power. The tomatoes are delicious, a little more expensive than typical market winter tomatoes, but well worth it. The operation is much smaller than those talked about in the article; it's more like a small, local Vermont farm - which it what it really is. The Little Leaf Lettuce they talked about is available in several local chain groceries, and it is good quality and reasonably priced.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

My wife brings home lettuce from the hydroponics professor's test greenhouse every now and then, it's really good. (One of the varieties she got from him was so good I found out what the seed was and ordered it for my Aerogarden, where it grows very nicely.)

His tomatoes are incredible, big and tasty, and the plants are like 10 feet tall and keep getting longer as they grow, so the non-bearing part of the vine stretches several feet off to the side.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.