War in Ukraine may impact food prices

Home Forums General Discussions War in Ukraine may impact food prices

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I did two pods of spinach in my late-2021 Aerogarden, I got 3-4 pickings of spinach from them, then they pretty much stopped, they may have gotten crowded out by the leaf lettuce, or maybe spinach just doesn't produce more than a few pickings.

chocomouse
      Participant

Don't toss the root end of your celery bunch when you think you are done with it! Put it in a container with enough water to cover the lowest end, say about1/2 - 3/4 of an inch of water. It will grow new tops! Mine current piece is about 6 inches tall now. I use a glass container so I can keep an eye on the water level. I've been able to get 2 more bunches out of it, and I'm not sure how long it can go on because I tend to forget to keep water in it and it quits growing.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

When I was at Costco yesterday, the cost of a 12 pound bag of King Arthur AP flour has gone up again, it was $5.99 last summer, then it went up to $6.99 last fall, and now it's $7.99.

But I just read that in Germany and other European countries, they're seeing across-the-board producer cost increases of 40% over a year ago, and those are likely to get much worse as shortages from Russia and the Ukraine continue.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

The Wall Street Journal has a story running today about how Brazilian farmers are looking to tropical strains of wheat as wheat prices soar. These are also high yield and high protein (15%) strains.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.