Vitamin D Supplements

Home Forums General Discussions Vitamin D Supplements

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Vitamin D supplements are commonly prescribed. It's included in a lot of multivitamins. However, my Consumer Reports Health Newsletter had an article that suggested for most people, taking Vitamin D is useless. It was not a detailed article, but it made me wonder. Now the PBS News Hour Science weekly science email had this link to yet another article:

https://www.vox.com/2018/10/4/17933880/vitamin-d-health-sun-diet

When I have my yearly appointment, I will ask my doctor about it. I'm wondering if, yet again, a supplement has been overhyped.

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

Personally, I suspect 90% of all supplements are worthless, and another 2-3% are actually causing more problems than they solve.

aaronatthedoublef
        Participant

My doc just told me to stop taking Omega 3s because the latest science is they don't do anything for cardio vascular health.

BakerAunt
          Participant

We're just going to have to get those vitamins, minerals, and Omega 3s the old-fashioned way: consuming foods that contain them! 🙂

BakerAunt
            Participant

I saw my doctor last week, and she is still firmly on the Vitamin D train. I had cut back at the end of last March, so that I was alternating (every other day) a multivitamin with 1000 IU Vitamin D with a 2000 IU Vitamin D because I was concerned about taking 3000 IU per day, and frankly not keen on 600 IU in calcium supplements, as I am working to get most of my calcium from food. Well, they tested my Vitamin D levels and said, just as they did last year, that "they are a little low" and the doctor wants me on the 2000 IU and says it's ok to take the multivitamin with its 1000 additional IUs of Vitamin D as well. I may ditch the multivitamin. I am, however, wondering if I'm even absorbing most of the Vitamin D that I take.

I do not like being so confused.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.