Vanilla Texas Sheet Cake with Strawberry Glaze

Home Forums Baking β€” Desserts Vanilla Texas Sheet Cake with Strawberry Glaze

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Here's a Washington Post recipe that I'm probably going to try this week, it's a take on Texas sheet cake that sounds good.

https://wapo.st/43o9MQY

My wife's reaction is "Why are you making this when you could be making a Texas Chocolate Sheet Cake?"

Spread the word
      skeptic7
      Participant

I never thought of a Texas Sheet Cake in anything but chocolate. I've a friend who would love this, he likes strawberries.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

I think I'm going to make a half recipe of it in a 9x13 pan.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

Cake before frosting:

IMG_0497

Cake after frosting:

IMG_0498

Attachments:
            You must be logged in to view attached files.
            Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

It is lighter than a Texas Chocolate Sheet Cake, and the strawberry flavor is quite mild. Some sliced strawberries on top would be good, that's probably something we'll try at lunch tomorrow, if not at breakfast. πŸ™‚

I think it's a cake we might make every now and then as a change of pace, but I don't think it'll be something I'll make nearly as often as a Texas Chocolate Sheet Cake. It would also make a good 2nd cake to make for a group if there may be people who don't eat chocolate.

I'm tempted to try heating the butter/milk/sugar mixture and adding that to the flour so that some of it gelatinizes like with the chocolate version.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

The cake is very good with some fresh strawberries on top, sort of like strawberry shortcake with frosting. πŸ™‚

I think the cake, unfrosted, would make a decent, if soft, shortcake.

navlys
                Participant

Wow some of the comments on the above recipe are vicious! Not to mention the comments on the Texas sheet cake!

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

The Washington Post reader comments tend to be savage and no matter what the subject, seem to wind up being about politics. I've heard the NY Times reader comments are even worse.

I've gotten some good recipes from the WaPo, though. This one isn't what I'd call a 'must make' recipe, but I'm not sorry I made it, and it was much better with some fresh strawberries on top. I think I like it better than Diane does.

The recipe will go in the cake section of my notebook, but towards the back, I suspect.

One of the people my wife works with is a former chef, he thinks my take on the Texas Chocolate Sheet Cake is restaurant-worthy. But it is funny how many people call them brownies.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

Diane took a big slice of the cake to her sister today, along with some peanut butter cookies. (Her sister doesn't eat peanut butter cookies.)

Linda must have liked the cake, I got a text to send Diane a link to the recipe.

It's pretty good with some blackberries on it, though I think I liked it better with sliced strawberries.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.