TWO QUESTIONS

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    rottiedogs
    Participant

TWO QUESTIONS
      Mrs Cindy
      First, I don't remember which member, might have been Cindy Leigh, I'm not sure, who gave us the tip about replenishing the last few tablespoons of buttermilk in the bottle with regular milk to make more buttermilk. Whoever gave us that tip please stand up and take a bow! You have saved me, and I'm sure others, countless $$'s, hours and frustrations with this one tip. I have had the same pint bottle of buttermilk in my refrigerator for MONTHS! Everytime it gets below 1/2 bottle, I top it off with whatever milk I have on hand and viola!, buttermilk! I love this tip. Thank you, thank ou, thank you!
      Which brings me to the next question. I made the Texas Sheet cake this morning. It just came out of the oven. I made the chocolate one that uses buttermilk. I made it in a 13"x9" pan. Baked for 30 minutes. It looks and smells terrific.
      Now, can I cool this and stick it in the freezer as is, for service on Wednesday? I plan to thaw it on Tuesday evening and warm it in a slow, 300F, oven on Wednesday morning and then pouring the chocolate frosting over it. Will this work or do I need to do the frosting now? I really wanted to be able to freeze for freshness and frost later. Any comments, suggestions?
      ~Cindy
      badge posted by: Mrs Cindy on September 23, 2012 at 12:20 pm in Q & A
      tags: buttermilk, chocolate sheet cake, frosting, Texas sheet cake
      share on: Twitter, Facebook
      Subscribe to: This post
      REPLIES TO THIS DISCUSSION
      reply by: Mrs Cindy on September 30, 2012 at 10:11 am
      Mrs Cindy
      This is the recipe I used. I wanted one with buttermilk and this was the one. I made it in a 9"x13" pan, so the cake portion was thicker than making it in a jelly roll pan. This could be divided into two 8"x8" pans and then freeze one. Really an evil, moist, rich cake. Not a child's cake. This is an adult cake all the way!
      I made the cake on Monday and froze it. On Wednesday I took it out of the freezer and put it in a 325F oven for 20 minutes while I made the warm frosting. The cake was hot when I frosted it. Yummy, yummy, yummy!
      Texas Sheet Cake - Chocolate Buttermilk Sheet
      Ingredients:
      2 cups all-purpose flour
      2 cups sugar
      1 teaspoon baking soda
      1/4 teaspoon salt
      1 cup butter
      1cup boiling water
      1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
      2 eggs
      1/2 cup buttermilk or sour milk
      1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
      Chocolate Frosting:
      1/4 cup butter
      3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
      3 tablespoons buttermilk
      2 to 2 1/4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
      1/2 teaspoon vanilla
      1/2 cup chopped pecans, optional
      Preparation:
      Cake
      Grease and flour a 15X10X1-inch or jelly roll pan or a 13X9X2-inch baking pan; set aside. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
      In a medium saucepan combine 1 cup butter, 1/3 cup cocoa, and 1 cup of water. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. With an electric hand-held mixer on medium speed, beat chocolate mixture into the dry mixture until thoroughly blended. Add eggs, 1/2 cup of buttermilk, and 1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla. Beat for 1 minute (batter will be thin). Pour batter into the prepared pan.
      Bake in a 350° oven about 22 to 25 minutes for the 15X10-inch pan or about 30 to 35 minutes for the 13X9-inch pan, or until a wooden pick or cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.
      Pour warm chocolate frosting over the warm cake, spreading evenly. Place cake in pan on a wire rack; cool thoroughly before cutting.
      Makes 24 servings.
      Frosting:
      In a medium saucepan combine 1/4 cup butter, 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, and 3 tablespoons buttermilk. Bring to a boil, stirring, over medium heat. Remove from heat; add 2 cups confectioners' sugar and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Beat until smooth. Add more confectioners' sugar or a little milk or more buttermilk, if needed, for a spreadable frosting. If desired, stir in 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans. Spread the warm frosting over the cake.
      ~Cindy

Spread the word
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.