Supreme Cherry Squares by cwalde

Home Forums Recipes Supreme Cherry Squares by cwalde

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Supreme Cherry Squares
      Submitted by cwalde on October 18, 2004 at 12:49 pm

The first time I took these special bars to a church dinner I got five requests for the recipe. They are unusual and so yummy. If you love them like I do, stock up on the glazed (candied) cherries as they are a holiday item and won't be in the stores afterwards. I usually don't tell people that there are candied cherries in them since so many people hate fruitcake. They are always asking me what's in them. It would be hard to find a bar cookie just as good as this one. You will love it! Cheryl

Base:
      1 cup. Butter
      2 cup. Flour
      3/4 cup. Powdered sugar
      For the base cream all ingredients together and press into a parchment lined 10 " x 15 1/2" cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 min. Cool. (Line the pan with parchment paper with an over-hang for ease of removing the baked squares.)

Topping:
      4 eggs
      2 c brown sugar
      1/2 cup flour
      1 tsp. baking powder
      1 tsp. vanilla or almond extract
      1/2 tsp. salt
      1 cup coconut
      2 cup chopped pecans
      2 cup chopped glazed cherries

For the topping beat together the eggs, brown sugar, flour, baking powder, and vanilla. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Spread over the base and bake for 45 min. Remove from oven and cool.

Frosting:
      3/4 cup soft butter
      1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
      6 Tbs. ice cold water
      5 Tbs. boiling water
      1 tsp. vanilla

For the frosting beat together the butter and sugar until fluffy and pale yellow. Add 1 Tbsp. of the iced cold water at a time, beating well after each addition, and ensuring it is all incorporated. Then repeat the process with the boiling water 1 Tbsp. at a time. Add the vanilla.

Spread over chilled squares. Chill in refrigerator and cut into serving size slices. Sprinkle a small amount of finely chopped pecans on top if you wish, or after sliced, decorate with red and green cherries. These squares can be made well in advance of the holidays as they freeze great!

Spread the word
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.