Shrinkflation continues

Home Forums General Discussions Shrinkflation continues

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

In the midwest, canned soda is sold in both 12 packs and 24 packs.

A few years ago, Coke tried to introduce 20 packs, for roughly the same price as the 24 packs, of course. They didn't catch on.

Now I'm seeing 18 packs in the grocery stores, at a price that represents about a 20% premium per can over 24 packs. I hope they face a similar fate among consumers.

Spread the word
      navlys
      Participant

I think people are expecting this due to" inflation". No one should be drinking soda anyway!(in my most humble opinion).

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

Every day I see another article saying coffee or tea is good for you, or bad for you. Just today I saw one saying drinking hot tea increases the risk of throat cancer. (Next they're going to say that applies to drinking hot chicken soup, too!)

BakerAunt
          Participant

I gave up soda long ago, especially in cans, since I have had reactions to the carbonation. I also looked at the amount of sugar and decided that there are so many other ways that I prefer to eat my sugar.

I still have the occasional root beer, but from a glass bottle.

BakerAunt
            Participant

The eggs from Aldi's are definitely smaller than large, which is probably why they have the best prices. I'm adding 2 tsp. water per egg to recipes.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

If they're selling them as large but they're not 24 ounces to a dozen (in the shell), that could be a weights and measures violation, medium eggs are 21 ounces to a dozen. I haven't bought eggs at our Aldi in a while, I may have to buy some just to weigh them.

Joan Simpson
                Participant

I checked my eggs that I bought from Publix large and they were 24.3 oz. So they're right on spot.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

I bought two dozen eggs at Aldi the other day, $1.91 a dozen, which is anywhere from $1 to $2 lower than the other stores.

I weighed a number of them, all were between 2.0 and 2.2 ounces each.

According to a post I saw earlier today citing Labor Department data, eggs are up 39.8% over the last year nationwide, butter 24.6%, chicken 16.6%, rice, past and cornmeal 15.7%.

Butter in cold storage is at at the lowest level since 2017, and the holiday baking season is coming soon. Stock up when you can!

Beef had the smallest increase, 2.5%, but I've seen many reports saying that ranchers have been cutting their herds, which means more beef on the market now but less, possibly a lot less, down the road.

I'm seeing a lot of bacon in 12 ounce packages instead of 16 ounce packages.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.