Rye Barley Crispbread

Home Forums Recipes Rye Barley Crispbread

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Rye and Barley Crispbread Makes 32 large crispbread
      This recipe is adapted from Swedish Breads and Pastries, by Jan Hedh (p. 144), who calls it Barley Crispbread, even though rye is the main flour. The original recipe, translated directly from Swedish, does not account for flour differences between countries or differences between professional and home kitchens.

300g water
      10g yeast (and I add a pinch of sugar)

20g (about 1 ½ Tbs.) melted butter

100g wheat flour high in protein, preferably stoneground (Bob’s Red Mill Bread flour)
      170g fine rye flour (Bob’s Red Mill dark rye flour)
      95g coarse rye flour (King Arthur pumpernickel)
      90g barley flour (Bob’s Red Mill)
      10g sea salt

Topping:
      1 beaten egg
      Sunflower seed and Sesame seed (pumpkin seed can also be used)

In medium bowl, stir together all dry ingredients. Proof yeast in warm water with a pinch of sugar in stand mixer bowl. Add dry ingredients and mix with paddle, drizzling in the melted butter. When combined, remove from bowl and knead by hand 15 minutes. (Original recipe says lowest speed of kneading machine; it does not work in my large mixer.) Move dough to lightly oiled plastic container with lid and let rest 1 hour.

Weigh dough and divide in half. Working with half the dough (leave the other half in the covered plastic container to prevent drying out), roll dough on a large sheet of baking parchment, about 40cm x 36cm. That size fits the largest baking sheet that will fit into my oven. It will be a little less than 1/16th of an inch thick. Prick the dough all over with a fork (or dough docker).

Brush with beaten egg. Sprinkle on sunflower seed, then sesame seed. Place a sheet of waxed paper over the seeds, then roll over with a rolling pin to make them stick to the dough. Remove waxed paper. Using a pizza wheel (keep it upright to prevent dragging the dough), cut into 10 x 9 cm squares (about 4 inches on longest side). Let rest 30 minutes. (I leave it uncovered as I do not have a large enough cover. They do fine.) Repeat the process with the other half of the dough.

Preheat oven to 347F and bake on third shelf up (slightly above middle) until golden brown 20-30 minutes. (I found it needed the 30 minutes.) Break them apart, remove parchment, and allow to cool on sheet pan

What I changed: I reduced the sea salt from 18g to 10g and delete a pinch of salt in the egg wash. I use active yeast and proof it with a bit of sugar, then add the dry ingredients. The recipe does not state where the butter is added, so I drizzle it in. I mix with the flat paddle to bring dough together, then knead by hand, as my mixer cannot knead such a small amount of dough.

Spread the word
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.