Running a Home-based Bakery

Home Forums General Discussions Running a Home-based Bakery

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

This WSJ article calls on NJ to follow the lead of several other states and permit home-based bakeries.

Spread the word
      JennC13
      Participant

My mother had a home bakery business in CT while I was growing up. She actually did cake decorating. I can remember that she had to be inspected on a yearly basis, but I feel like that was about all there was too it. I'm sure licensing fees as well - this is CT after all. I've thought about looking into one for myself, but not sure I want to go that far. We recently had a commercial kitchen open nearby that can be rented, but I don't know what they charge.

aaronatthedoublef
        Participant

Home bakeries are no longer tolerated here in CT. A few years back there was a 13 year old girl who had a thriving custom cake business. One of the local news stations did a story on her and her town shut her down. The same is true in most towns. If you are in a house you cannot pass the health department codes.

If you do this on a small scale and don't attract attention the way this girl did then you might get away with it.

It's seen as a way to protect bakeries.

Italiancook
          Participant

I'd be hesitant to purchase from a home-based bakery. I'd wonder whether there were dogs, cats, or other pets roaming around the house. I love pets, but I'd wonder about animal hairs and dander being in the food.

BakerAunt
            Participant

Some states, such as Indiana, have Cottage Food Laws, but these differ from state to state. In Indiana, one can bake at home, but the food has to have printed labels that state it was produced in a non-inspected kitchen, and that also lists the ingredients in decreasing order of weight. In addition, such food can only be sold at a Farmer's Market or a road side stand (where such stands are allowed). Customers could place orders by phone or online, but delivery must be at either the Farmer's Market or the stand. All food must be packaged for sale--no selling goods to be eaten on the spot, or one then becomes a food vendor. Also, certain foods are prohibited.

The following page is for Indiana, but I think that you can search other states there:

http://forrager.com/law/indiana/

aaronatthedoublef
              Participant

Thanks BA! Apparently we have a new law passed last year that will allow some home bakeries. The Forrager site says local health departments will need to pass more rules before the state law becomes affective...

The people against the law point to the fact that we can use an already licensed kitchen for food prep but, there is a shortage of those places here and they are expensive. For example, I can lease out my temple's kitchen. Last time I checked as a member it would cost me over $100 a day and I would need to bring some of my own equipment like a mixer and a food processor if I wanted to use those. Plus, when I have used it for temple events I spent a half hour cleaning before I ever started prep.

I think if you are not a member of the congregation the cost is two to three times the member cost.

Of course, until my town passes laws I'll live in the gray zone...

BakerAunt
                Participant

When we move to Indiana this summer, I hope to sell some baked goods at the Farmer's Market. I've been checking it out the past couple of years, and I have some ideas of what might sell well. The only problem is that the farmer's market only runs from March until October--and I have lots of items that would go very well for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I have an extensive collection of Nordic Ware pans whose presence my husband will want me to justify. I did use all but one of the autumn pans this fall, and I'm just starting to use the Christmas and winter ones.

The town does not have a bakery, and even though the only grocery store attempted to upgrade its bread, it is not bread that I would eat. There are two local coffee shops, in different areas of town; one has some pastries that would be acceptable if I ever was not baking--as if that would happen!

• This reply was modified 7 years, 5 months ago by BakerAunt.
                  Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

One of the local farmers markets here does a special 'holiday' market just ahead of Thanksgiving and again just ahead of Christmas. It is a HUGE success. I've had to park at least 2 blocks away more than once. They hold it indoors at one of the city's parks buildings.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

I know that there is some kind of Harvest weekend, as well as an early Christmas one. I'm not sure if that is just for the regular businesses, but I will check into it this summer and suggest a farmer's market would be a nice addition if one is not included in those weekends.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 5 months ago by BakerAunt.
                    Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.