Red Pepper Hummus and Spiced Pita Toasts by Karen Noll

Home Forums Recipes Red Pepper Hummus and Spiced Pita Toasts by Karen Noll

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Red Pepper Hummus/Spiced Pita Toasts
      Submitted by karen_noll on October 02, 2004 at 1:42 pm

Glory posted a Red Pepper Hummus from Southern Living a while back, and it's really excellent. I've added my notes at the end

Makes 2 cups

1 (15-ounce) can navy beans, rinsed and drained
      2 garlic cloves, chopped
      1/2 cup roasted red bell peppers, drained and chopped
      1/3 cup tahini
      1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
      3/4 teaspoon salt
      1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
      1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
      1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
      2 tablespoons olive oil
      1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
      Garnishes: lettuce, toasted sesame seeds, chopped green onions

PROCESS first 9 ingredients in a food processor or blender until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides. With processor running, pour oil through food chute in a slow, steady stream; process until smooth. Stir in cilantro; chill 1 hour. Garnish, if desired. Serve with tortilla or pita chips. Prep: 15 min., Chill: 1 hr.

Cook's Notes: I made this with roasted garlic/garlic oil (just start some garlic cloves in cold oil and cook till golden brown and soft, I used 4 cloves). Since I like lemons, I used the juice of three lemons, slightly more than 1/4 cup, and I used chickpeas instead of navy beans. This is great with pita bread, or spiced pita toasts

Spiced Pita Toasts
      adapted from Gourmet Magazine

1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
      1 tsp kosher salt
      2 tsp. paprika
      1/2 cup olive oil
      6 6-inch pitas with pockets

Mix first four ingredients in small bowl. Preheat oven to 400F. Split each pita into two rounds and brush rough side with oil mixture. Cut each round into 8 wedges and arrange, rough sides up on 2 large baking sheets. Bake wedges until golden brown and crisp for about 6 minutes. Let toasts cool on racks. This is a great way to jazz up bland supermarket pitas.

Enjoy!
      Karen

Spread the word
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.