Recipe for baked steak using cube steak, onions

Home Forums General Discussions Recipe for baked steak using cube steak, onions

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    oldelady
    Participant

I'm having a senior moment. I've made this recipe many times so never wrote it down. Now all of a sudden I'm drawing a blank. I do know this does not call for any commercial soups or tomato sauce, just the steak, onions and water. Steak is dredged with seasoned flour, seared and then put in an oven proof pan with the onions and water and baked. That's where my mind goes blank. Oven temp and time are not coming to me. I had never heard of this dish until moving to WV 28 years ago so I assume it is a southern thing. Any help or links would be appreciated.

Spread the word
      oldelady
      Participant

PS I do remember that we used Lawry's seasoning with the flour.

Joan Simpson
        Participant

I've cooked this many times.Just fry cube steak till crusted,take up add onion and flour to pan to make a gravy put steak back in gravy then place in oven 325* for an hour or 2.will be very tender.Will be fork tender.I just seasoned with salt and pepper.Pan needs to be covered.Hope this helps you.Yep,it's a southern thing biscuits and rice and you in business .

• This reply was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by Joan Simpson.
          oldelady
          Participant

Thanks Joan. That sounds like it. I knew I could find an answer if I asked here. All the websites I found called for "real steak" and all kinds of soups with herbs and spices when all I wanted was a simple dish without those extras. One even called for goat cheese! Well I'm off to start supper, baked steak, mashed potatoes and home grown and frozen haricot verts (fancy French green beans) and home made applesauce for dessert.

Joan Simpson
            Participant

You're very welcome,I know it turned out well.

BakerAunt
              Participant

Welcome, Oldelady! It is great to have yet another new voice on the website. And now we all have a new recipe to tuck away and try.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by BakerAunt. Reason: corrected typo
                oldelady
                Participant

For you former OBC members, yes I am that oldelady although a LOT older now. I have been lurking since Mike started MNK and have decided it was time I started contributing although I don't do much baking anymore.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

I haven't done a lot of baking in the last year, either.

KIDPIZZA
                    Participant

For you former OBC members, yes I am that oldelady although a LOT older now. I have been lurking since Mike started MNK and have decided it was time I started contributing although I don’t do much baking anymore.

For you former OBC members, yes I am that oldelady although a LOT older now. I have been lurking since Mike started MNK and have decided it was time I started contributing although I don’t do much baking anymore.

OLELADY:
                      Good morning. Yes, I remember you very well. We did ~E~Mail each other every now & then.
                      I am glad you are coming back to the baking forum. I will enjoy it now more knowing that you will be here.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend young lady.

~KIDPIZZA.

oldelady
                      Participant

Sorry it took me so long to report the results. There was another accident involving neighbors where our road enters a four lane US highway. Fortunately no one was killed this time. In January the highway took a family of four leaving one son a complete mess and 5 other children with no parents.
                        That highway claims at least 2 lives a month in a 20 mile stretch.

The baked steak turned out great and now will be returned to our meal rotation, Thanks.

And HOWDY to you Cass. I wish some of the others from the OBC would join in here, although I am enjoying some of the newbies. They add new spice to the discussions.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.