Re-conditioning a Cast Iron Skillet

Home Forums General Discussions Re-conditioning a Cast Iron Skillet

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    skeptic7
    Participant

I've used sandpaper and steel wool pads before. The Steel wool does a better job of getting into the corner where the pan bottom meets the edge. I think the sand paper is less messy or at least drier. This is mainly to clean off old finish if there is a thick layer. If there isn't enough finish, just wash and dry and rub a little oil on with a paper towel to remove the rust and bake.
      I've had to refinish several times because I put too much oil on at once. Oil the pan lightly and then wipe off all the oil you can with a dry paper towel before baking it in the oven. Bake at 400 degrees, 350 degrees is to low to properly bake the oil into a solid surface.
      Refinishing a cast iron pan is a lovely excuse for running the over for a couple of hours on a cold day. I might refinish my chicken frier. The bottom is fine but the sides are lumpy so it doesn't really NEED to be redone its just prettier.

Heating a skillet really hot on a stove top, will weaken the old finish so its easier to remove. I did this on a pancake skillet last year.

Joan Simpson
      Participant

BakerAunt I talked with my cousin who use to collect iron wares and he said if you have rust to soak the pan in white vinegar and water for a little while then scrub and recondition,for heavy build up to soak in a mixture of red devil lye in a plastic container because it's caustic like the heavy rubbermaid containers for several days,for 5-10 gallons of water use about a can or 2 and you can't get it on your skin,use rubber gloves to get out of container,he said he'd soak several pans for a week or more,check them and scrub and replace them till it took all grime back to new condition,he said never put them in a fire.Just wanted to share what he said.

BakerAunt
        Participant

Thanks, Joan. That is interesting and makes sense for someone doing a number of pots at once. I wonder where he dumped the lye mixture when he was done. 🙁 At least I just have the one pan.

That is a good hint about the rust. My husband used vinegar to clean the rust off a used jointer he bought, and it worked well.

We had another rainy day, so I have not yet tried the oven cleaner, which according to my husband contains lye.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by BakerAunt.
          Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

Lye is commonly used as a drain cleaner, so dumping it down the drain is one option.

skeptic7
            Participant

Lye might start to eat through the pipes if there isn't a clog. Adding a strong acid to neutralize the lye would be dangerous -- it might cause an explosion as the two chemicals react. You should wear goggles as well as gloves when dealing with lye.

Joan Simpson
              Participant

I don't think I'd pour it in the drain either,my cousin said he'd pour it around trees ,not a flower bed as it might be too much lye,But ashes from your fire place is basically just potash and they are good for flowers or trees.Old timers use to bury a can of potash under a pecan tree and as it deteriorates it leeches in soil for abundant pecans.
                My husbands grandfather one time had a commode stopped up and he over did the red devil lye poured 2 cans in it and he said it started smoking and cracked the commode with an explosion.He said his Daddy told him don't do it but he was hard headed lol.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by Joan Simpson.
                RiversideLen
                Participant

Maybe pour it down the drain slowly as you run the faucet full open to dilute it.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.