Mocha Chocolate Chip Cake

Home Forums Baking — Desserts Mocha Chocolate Chip Cake

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Update on my second baking of the Mocha Chocolate Chip Cake to which Cwcdesign introduced us last year.

I used 3/4 cups of mini-chocolate chips this time and dredged them with flour. They still sank to the bottom, but it is less messy with the mini chips. I stacked the layers so that each had the chips on the top. I also used 1/2 tsp. salt in the cake rather than the specified 1 tsp. kosher salt. I omitted the kosher salt from the frosting, since it uses salted butter. I used just 2 Tbs. of the King Arthur Espresso powder (recipe calls for 2 Tbs. and 1 tsp.). I like the frosting much better this time, perhaps because I used less and because I had freshly opened espresso powder.

However, the cake does not slice nicely but crumbles a lot. I'm not sure if that is the chocolate chips or if the recipe could use some tweaking.

I have written to Cass/Kid Pizza to see if he has any suggestions about how to address that issue and the sinking chocolate chip issue. If he does, I'll be sure to post his answer here.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by BakerAunt.
      KIDPIZZA
      Participant

Update on my second baking of the Mocha Chocolate Chip Cake to which Cwcdesign introduced us last year.

I used 3/4 cups of mini-chocolate chips this time and dredged them with flour. They still sank to the bottom, but it is less messy with the mini chips. I stacked the layers so that each had the chips on the top. I also used 1/2 tsp. salt in the cake rather than the specified 1 tsp. kosher salt. I omitted the kosher salt from the frosting, since it uses salted butter. I used just 2 Tbs. of the King Arthur Espresso powder (recipe calls for 2 Tbs. and 1 tsp.). I like the frosting much better this time, perhaps because I used less and because I had freshly opened espresso powder.

However, the cake does not slice nicely but crumbles a lot. I’m not sure if that is the chocolate chips or if the recipe could use some tweaking.

I have written to Cass/Kid Pizza to see if he has any suggestions about how to address that issue and the sinking chocolate chip issue. If he does, I’ll be sure to post his answer here.

BAKERAUNT:
        Good afternoon Marliss. Sorry to learn you had a baking disappointment recently.
        I did scrutinize this recipe you pointed me to & I just now finished doing so.
        This recipe is just slightly out of balance. Which we can adjust as we go along.
        Marliss first off & as you already know, we must employ "BLCD AP FLOUR"

Marliss, notice the the variance of the weight of the flour & the sugar. The sugar is about 1 3/4, oz more so. I would consider reducing this amount of sugar & adding same weight in honey. You will have a much moister baked product, & a mush less of a problem for the sugar to dissolve in your creaming operation.

Marliss, now I will address the reason your cake is somewhat crumbly, I believe the sugar is not fully dissolved during the creaming operation. this has an effect on the gluten development, thus the stunted gluten structure development.
        Marliss, by all means place the sugar in your FP & give it a few twirls & reduce it's size. It will dissolve quicker & easier this way.

Marliss, as you know this type of sugar has some molasses in it also if you add honey we have a acidic condition here. Soooo, we need to add some baking soda. I would consider reducing the bkg powder to 1 3/4 tsp & adding in between 1/2 to 3/4 tsp of baking soda to neutralize this acidic condition.

Marliss I do believe what is contributing to the crumbly crumb condition is it is crying for more fat. ADD (1) yolk to this recipe.

Marliss, the other item is this. This is how I handle this item (My secret that is) Fill the pan just slightly higher than the mid section then sprinkle the chocolate around evenly on top....hopefully in one layer Then repeat on the top of the batter they will slightly sink in this way the 1st layer goes down slightly as the top layer will & then stops sinking when the batter begins developing the structure strength thanks to the leaveners.
        Marliss my other secret is this, pre~heat your oven to about 375 / 385 degrees. bake your tins for about 4/5 minutes then reduce to 335 degrees due to the addition of the honey. The sudden blast of heat will stop the choco in it's tracks.

Marliss, now for the last correction. I believe there is too muck liquid in this recipe. I would suggest this use 6,oz of milk. then use your judgement add more if you think the batter consistency requires more liquid, if so, add 1/2 TBLS at a time. I do not think you will be adding any however,

When finished come back & let us know how well we have done to your recipe.

Good luck & happy St. Valentine day to you as well my dear friend.

~CASPAR/KIDPIZZA.

BakerAunt
        Participant

Cass, thank you so much for these suggestions. I will print them and use them next time I bake this cake.

Happy Valentine's Day to you as well!

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.