1/2 cup butter
      1/2 cup margarine
      1 cup lukewarm milk
      2 1/4 teaspoons dry yeast
      2 egg yolks, hard cooked (boiled or poached) and strained
      3 cups AP flour
      fillings: jam, nuts, lekvar

Dissolve yeast in milk.

Strain hard cooked eggs yolks through fine strainer; beat with butter.

Add yeast milk mix; stir in flour.

Dough can be rolled immediately; it does not need rising time.

Preheat oven to 350.

Roll dough 1/8" thick on floured surface; cut into 2-inch squares.

Add 1 scant teaspoon of filling to center of square; fold diagonally opposite corners into middle of cookie so that they overlap.

Let shaped cookies rest on pan for 15 minutes before baking.

Bake on ungreased or parchment lined cookie sheet for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and immediately roll in powdered sugar. Cool on rack.

comments
      Submitted by KIDPIZZA on Tue, 2013-03-19 16:36.
      MUMPHY:
      Good afternoon. I am just curious my friend. I hope you do not mind me asking you this question. How many times have you baked this recipe & were all those times successful...no mishaps???
      Enjoy the rest of the day my friend.
      ~CASS/KIDPIZZA.

Submitted by mumpy on Mon, 2013-06-17 19:07.
      I'm so sorry, but I never noticed your question on my recipe for kiflies until today....my sister and I have both made this recipe many times...as did my mother...I've never had any problem with it, and I think my sister would have mentioned it, if she had....it's a really strange recipe, but it does work!

Submitted by magyar baker on Sat, 2013-07-20 09:58.
      Hello. I just saw your recipe for Kifli and found it a bit unusual! I have never heard of using hard boiled eggs in the recipe! Is this a regional variation recipe?
      The Kifli I learned to make from my great aunt(Szombathely, Vas megye) has sour cream mixed in with the flour and other dry ingredients, the dough is rolled out , diamond shapes cut out, a slit in the middle and one corner pulled through and twisted; then, the dough is deep fried and powdered sugar coated after cooling....
      I also wanted to ask, do you have a recipe for the breakfast bread that is half sweet-not quite white bread and half cocoa and was braided? I remember that bread is also called Kalacs (Kolach?) and I can't find a good recipe anywhere...I'd appreciate any feedback or links to that recipe.
      Many thanks! E. Farkas

Submitted by mumpy on Mon, 2013-07-22 09:08.
      not too sure how this recipe became so different - I've never seen it anywhere else.....this is something my mother used to make, and she got the recipe from a neighbor who was Hungarian, who learned it from her grandmother....and i wish i could help with the braided bread, but i'm sorry - i can't....have you looked at lots of ethnic baking websites?...you could also try asking on the community forum here....there's an amazing fund of diverse knowledge there.....good luck finding it!

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 11 months ago by BakerAunt.
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.