KAF Voluntary Flour Recall

Home Forums General Discussions KAF Voluntary Flour Recall

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    aaronatthedoublef
    Participant

Read about it here.Read about it here.Read about it here.

From ADM just as Mike mentioned earlier.

On October 3, 2019, King Arthur Flour announced a voluntary national recall of specific lots of its Unbleached All-Purpose Flour (5 lb. & 25 lb.), in cooperation with ADM Milling Company.

We are taking this voluntary precautionary step because of the potential presence of E. coli 026 which was discovered through sampling. To date, we have not received any confirmed reports of illnesses related to this product, which was produced prior to February 2019.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

When I buy flour, I empty it into the container and throw the bag away. Given the flour recalls of late, I may start writing down the lot information on a sticker to put on the flour containers. I'm not worried about what remains in my flour bucket because I don't eat raw dough, and I wash my hands after handling flour or dough.

It's interesting that 25-pound bags are also being recalled. (It has been years since I've seen a 25-pound bag.) I noted in Walmart, in Michigan City, Indiana yesterday, that there was not a single bag of King Arthur flour, and indeed, there were mostly empty shelves in the flour section. I'll have to look in our local Walmart when we go this week. I'm actually low on unbleached King Arthur flour.

aaronatthedoublef
        Participant

Our WalMarts do not stock much flour either and no 25 lb bags. Most grocery stores here are focusing on mixes and things other than wheat flours.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I've never seen a 25 pound bag of KAF flour in a grocery store, and the only place I've seen a 10 pound bag was at a Whole Foods in Omaha. The local Wal-Marts carry 25 pound bags of their generic flour, bleached and brominated, of course.

BakerAunt
            Participant

In the past (over 5 years ago), I've bought 25-pound bags of King Arthur flour in Plymouth, IN and Rantoul, IL Walmart stores. However, we don't go through Rantoul anymore, and the Plymouth store, which did have 10-pound bags, usually only carries 5-pound ones now. The Plymouth store used to carry Montana Gold (I think that was the name) white, whole wheat, and white whole wheat. That has ended.

Denise
              Participant

Like BakerAunt, I always dump my bag of flour into my flour canister and toss the bag. After all these recalls, I may start cutting out the lot information and keeping it in a plastic bag on top of the flour in my canister. I started doing that with the labels for my Special Dry Milk and Buttermilk Powder as I couldn't remember which was which. 🙂

Interestingly, Krogers called and left me an automated voice message warning me about the KAF flour recall. Apparently I purchased flour during a period that is questionable. A warning is showing up at the bottom of all my grocery receipts as well. I'm not concerned because I haven't had any issues and I rarely would eat anything with flour that isn't cooked (although I will eat a bite of cookie dough here and there...). Still, I do appreciate their effort to get the word out.

aaronatthedoublef
                Participant

I always taste my doughs and batters. I know I am playing with fire but I don't trust things to go into the oven without that last test. I do not let my kids try anything.

I was at a restaurant supply store and they had 25 and 50 lb. bags. They had a wide variety of brands but not much diversity of types of flour. No whole wheat and all were either high protein or all purpose. The only KAF was their patent flour. Bob's was best represented but most of their stuff was varieties of gluten free flours and mixes.

I'll have to figure out where bakeries go.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

My former next door neighbor who runs the local Sysco office, once told me that they stocked 5-10 types of wheat flour but could get others. Some of them require ordering a full pallet, which is twenty 50 pound bags. For a bakery making 50-100 loaves a day, using 100-200 pounds of flour a day would not be unusual, so a pallet of flour would likely last less than a month.

I've not been to the Restaurant Depot store in Omaha (you have to have a tax permit to buy from them), but I think they only carry a few types of wheat flour. I have been to several GFS stores, they only stock 2-3 types of wheat flour as well.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.