Intro & Thanks to KAF BC

Home Forums General Discussions Intro & Thanks to KAF BC

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Italiancook
    Participant

As I mentioned yesterday in a post, I am a new member. I followed all your posts on KAF BC for months. Never asked to post.

In Sept. 2015, my body told me it was ill. On Dec. 6th, we knew why. On Jan. 6, 2016, my life drastically changed. In March, I had major surgery, recovered quickly, and am going strong. The whole time I was struggling, all you Baking Circle members gave me encouragement even though you never knew it.

I read your posts and was encouraged by all you were baking. I'd read them at night to remind me that another day would dawn, and if y'all could bake, so could I even though I didn't feel well. Not every day, but many days, I would bake something the next morning, because your posts had encouraged me.

I have shared the gist of the above with KAF.

Now I thank you and wish you the best.

Spread the word
      cwcdesign
      Participant

Italiancook, what a lovely post and welcome. We were hoping new people would come and join us. I'm glad your health is doing better. Please post as often as you can and share your baking adventures with us.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 11 months ago by cwcdesign.
        buttercup
        Participant

Italiancok, welcome to our new home. I glad we could help and hoping your health improves every day. Hope to see you here often.

wonky
          Participant

Welcome Italiancook...we are glad you are here with us. I especially look forward to some great Italian reciepies. :>)

Italiancook
            Participant

wonky, I am not an original cook. In the decades I've been cooking, I've probably created only a few recipes. Those are Vegetable Beef Soup, two types of tomato sauce, Eggplant Parm and Veal Scallopini. Haven't made the veal for a long time, because of the cost of veal. I'm a good cook only because I've been fortunate enough to have purchased excellent cookbooks.

The three Italian cookbooks I use were on Amazon last time I checked, but at high prices. Don't know if they still have them, but their titles are:

1. The Italian Family Recipes from The Romagnoli's Table by Margaret & G. Franco Romagnoli. This is my go-to cookbook.

2. Giuliano Bugialli's Classic Techniques of Italian Cooking. I learned to make pasta using this cookbook.

3. Papa Rossi's Secrets of Italian Cooking by Victor Bennet with Antonia Rossi. The recipes I've used from this book are quick and easy.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

I can deal with the cost of veal, but it's so hard to find any! Our local grocery stores tend to carry at most ground veal. The one store that reliably had (frozen) veal cutlets burned down earlier this week--a fire that started in the compressor room.

I recommend Carol Fields' book, "The Italian Baker". Her method for making grissini (thin bread sticks) is both fast and fun to do, and they're every bit as good as the ones I had in Turin.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 11 months ago by Mike Nolan.
                Nina Beyt
                Participant

Welcome, italiancook. Whether you have original recipes or not, I'm sure you have things you can teach us, or pass along. Italian, or baking, or whatever strikes your fancy. I'm glad to hear you won your battle with your health and are going strong. Though we bemoan the loss of the KAF BC, we'll be going strong too, partly because of people like you who jump in and fight the good fight, and have lovely manners and the graciousness to say a good word to folks now and then.

We have a real Italian and a fabulous baker in Gina G. She is on the BC Facebook group. I don't recall whether or not she signed up here. She can cook and bake rings around many of us. Hope we can get the two of you talking.

Italiancook
                  Participant

Nina, I also hope Gina G joins us here. I don't do Facebook and won't be involved with that group. I'm always excited to meet Italians. I like to discuss what part of Italy they're from and what the cooking traditions are there.

My mother-in-law was first generation American. Hubby and I visited the town in Italy from which her parents had emigrated.

Just this week, my sister-in-law and I wondered what sections of Italy add sugar to their tomato sauce. My mother-in-law never did, and neither do I. We know some Italians do. If Gina joins us here, maybe she can shed some light on this.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.