Participant

Ice Water Chocolate Cake
      Submitted by macy on May 03, 2008 at 4:25 pm

DESCRIPTION
      Ice Water Chocolate Cake

SUMMARY
      Yield 0 File under cakes

INSTRUCTIONS
      This recipe is from A World of Baking by Delores Casella (I ordered it after trying the Ice Water White Cake). I made a mistake the first time of baking in 2 8-inch pans---I thought my pans were tall enough to hold all the batter, but the layers really mushroomed in the oven. This is a very high-rising, cake. Light, soft, moist, with a lovely even crumb. It was slightly reddish, like devil's food cake, but that may have just been the chocolate I used. Makes enough batter for 2 9-inch layers or a large Bundt pan, like the 60th Anniversary special edition pan (15 cup capacity).

This cake doesn't taste its best on the day it's made, but it is really good on day two, and even better on day three so it is a great make-ahead dessert. 3 cups sifted cake flour weighs 300 gm.

Happy Baking,
      Macy

This cake is tender, delicate, and tall, as delicious to look at as to eat. The old, handwritten cookbooks specified sweet well water or mountain spring water, but plain ice water will do just fine (but make certain it is icy). Except for the ice water, all ingredients should be at room temperature.

3 cups sifted pastry or cake flour
      1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
      1/2 teaspoon salt
      3/4 cup butter or margarine
      2 1/4 cups superfine granulated sugar
      3 large eggs
      3 squares unsweetened chocolate, melted
      1 or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
      1 1/2 cups ice water

Sift the flour with the baking soda and salt and set aside. Cream the butter or margarine until very light. Gradually add the sugar and cream until mixture is thick and fluffy. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, and beat in thoroughly. Now blend in the melted chocolate and the vanilla. Add the sifted dry ingredients alternately with the ice water, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Mix only until batter is smooth. Turn into 3 8-inch round layer pans that have been buttered and floured. Tap the pans lightly on the counter top to remove excess air, and then bake in a 350F oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until done. Cool in the pans for 5 minutes before turning out onto racks. Cool thoroughly before filling and frosting. The Date Filling and any chocolate frosting go very well with this.

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 11 months ago by rottiedogs.
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.