How ripe is too ripe.…

Home Forums General Discussions How ripe is too ripe.…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    BevM
    Participant

for bananas to be used in baking banana bread? The ones I use have brown speckles on the peel so they are soft and fully ripe. I just can't bring myself to use ones that have black skins and are squishy inside (almost liquid). The bread/cake tastes great so I don't plan to change. Just curious as to what anyone else might use for their banana bread.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

If the bananas seem to be approaching the time when they will get squishy, peel them, pop them in a bag, and freeze them.

I think that liquidy is too much. I like them fairly soft.

KIDPIZZA
        Participant

BEV M:
          Good afternoon. I agree with your assessment of the description you wrote. When I baked that recipe that is way my bananas appeared before I began my bake.

If you do not mind Bev at this point I would like to point out this tidbit regarding "the BANANAS" prep. Many recipes say to mash the bananas...WHY!!! I do not know perhaps it is a over use of one's imagination thinking banana slices will not dissolve into the concoction during the bake.
          Well, I never did or do that yet I never saw a slice of banana in my teacake or mini~loaf cake that was still a slice not dissolved.
          I always employed just a little banana ext & also go to the liquor store & purchase a snall bottle of BANANA LIQUOR (SP) Very little Alcohol if any in it, but it will enhance the flavor.

Anyway when I didn't bake them at BOYS HOPE years back as the volunteer chef the boys wanted to know when I was going to bring their favorite muffins in for dinners dessert.

Enjoy the day my friend.

~KIDPIZZA / CASS.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by KIDPIZZA.
          BevM
          Participant

Bakeraunt, thanks for the tip on freezing the whole banana. I have lots that I don't use and hate to waste them/throw them away.
            Cass it is good to hear from you. I don't post often, but I read the posts and like to keep up with everyone from the KAF Baking Circle. Your comments and advice are always welcomed. Like you, I don't see much need for mashing the bananas excessively so I just give them a good stir with the fork and the mixer takes care of the rest. (I have never found chunks in my cake either.) The suggestion of banana liquor for added flavor sounds like one I would like to try.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

By the time bananas turn black, I think they're too liquid for baking, but I don't mash them unless they're REALLY firm, most of the time I just make sure they're breaking up decently as I throw them in the mixer.

luvpyrpom
              Participant

I usually use brown speckled bananas for my banana breads. I don't even mush them, I just break them into chunks and throw them into the mixer. They get pretty mashed that way.

Joan Simpson
                Participant

When I make Banana Bread I let my bananas get very ripe almost black and they make very good and moist bread.My recipe doesn't use mixer so I mash up if needed.If I ever have bananas going to waste I throw them in freezer in the skin-not peeled.When I want to make bread with them I let them thaw out tear the end open and all the goods just slide out.

Italiancook
                  Participant

Joan, when you thaw out the bananas and peel them, what color is the fruit? I freeze bananas out of the peel and they turn brown . . . I can't recall if they turn brown in the freezer or when thawed. So I'm curious what color the fruit itself becomes when frozen in the peel.

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

Once frozen when thawed they are tan not brown and you can literally squeeze them out the end of the skin.I throw them in the side tray of the door of freezer.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.