• Author
    rottiedogs
    Participant

Honey Wheat Batter Bread
      Submitted by jgortney on January 10, 2004 at 7:36 pm

DESCRIPTION
      Honey Wheat Batter Bread

SUMMARY
      Yield 0 File under Yeast Bread/Rolls (not sourdough)

INSTRUCTIONS
      From the Roanoke, VA newspaper

1 1/2 cups bread flour
      1 cup whole wheat flour
      1 tablespoon wheat germ
      3 tablespoons nonfat dry milk
      1 package active dry yeast
      1 teaspoon salt
      2 tablespoons honey
      2 tablespoons oil
      1 cup hot water, 120-130°F

1. In large mixer bowl, stir together 1/2 cup of the white flour and the other dry ingredients, including yeast.
      2. Stir in liquids.
      3. Gradually stir in remaining flour (may need to adjust water or flour amounts) to make a stiff batter.
      4. Beat with mixer using dough hooks until smooth and elastic.
      5. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes. (this rising can be omitted)
      6. Stir down and put into greased pan (8" or 9" loaf, or 1 1/2 quart casserole).
      7. Cover and let rise until doubled.
      8. Bake at 375°F for 25-30 minues.

10. This looks like a tiny amount of dough, but it expands nicely. I used a 9" loaf pan, which fills the pan but does not make a real tall loaf. Some may prefer the 8" loaf.
      11. The original recipe called for beating on low for three minutes after step two, then adding the remaining flour and beating on high until smooth. If your mixer does not have the dough hooks, this is probably the way to go because the thick batter with all the flour will climb the regular beaters into the mixer. I used a hand mixer, not a stand mixer.
      12. The original also sprinkles the wheat germ on top of the loaf. I just mixed it in.

Spread the word
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.