DESCRIPTION
      Homemade Yogurt without a Machine

SUMMARY
      Yield 0 File under Misc. Recipes & Requests

INSTRUCTIONS
      Yogurt

Ingredients:

5 cups whole cow milk
      1/4 cup commercial unflavored yogurt(I use Dannon.)

Directions:
      In a thick saucepan(I use a large calphalon pot), heat the milk to a simmer on the stove, about 185 degrees F, while stirring frequently. Remove from the heat and let cool to 110 degrees F.

Place the yogurt in a medium bowl and gradually add about 2 cups of the milk, whisking well.

Gradually add this mixture to the remaining milk. Mix well. (If any milk has formed a layer on the bottom of the pot, be careful not to dig it up!)

Place the pot, without a cover, in a warm oven, 150 degrees or less. The oven should be off when pot is inserted. Leave the yogurt for at least 5 hours, but not more than 9 hours in the oven. Turn the oven on and off a few times in the beginning. Be careful not to get it too hot or it will kill the bacteria.

Remove from the oven and store in the refrigerator. Use part of this batch to make the next batch, and so on.

Note: Yogurt may be strained over a bowl with a cheesecloth to make a thicker yogurt.

It is imperative that your themometer be correct. I have one that costs $40 that I ordered from a shop in Arlington, VA. It is the Rose L Beranbaum developed themometer. It works like a charm and is worth every penny.

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 11 months ago by rottiedogs.
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.