Half-Sour Pickles Thread

Home Forums Threads Saved from the KAF Baking Circle Half-Sour Pickles Thread

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Half Sour Pickles - Help!

I know this isn't a baking question, but I love half sour pickles and have tried to make them with no success. I'm wondering if any of the wonderful bakers out there has a recipe that they really like? Any help is appreciated!
      posted by: JennC13 on August 03, 2015 at 1:41 pm in General discussions

reply by: omaria on August 03, 2015 at 3:32 pm
      Jenn, I cannot help you. I have tried many times to make a pickle I like. No success so far. But I am very picky about pickles. Only one kind I will eat with pleasure and they are made by a German outfit called Kruegermann. Only one of the different varieties . Frischgurken. You can ask Frick. I love those.

reply by: kaf-sub-rius on August 03, 2015 at 5:31 pm

1t or 1.5 lbs of kirby cucumbers
      1c apple cider vinegar
      2c water
      2.5tsp kosher salt
      2.5tsp dill seeds (fresh tastes much better)
      5 cloves garlic, peeled
      2 scallions

Wash and dry cucumbers. Cut off ends and quarter.

Put water, vinegar and salt into saucepan and bring to a boil. Then shut off heat.

Divide dill seed, garlic and scallion into 2 jars.

Pack the jars tightly with kirby quarters.

Pour enough of the brine into the jars to leave about 1/4 inch at the top. Put lids on and let cool at room temperature. Once cool, put them in the fridge.

I like them best when they've been in the fridge for a few days. I've never had them for longer than about 3 weeks. But I reckon they will last longer than that.

reply by: JennC13 on August 06, 2015 at 8:41 am
      Thanks rius - I will give this a try! I know what you mean, omaria - I have never gotten exactly what I'm looking for yet - but I'll keep trying. If I can keep making small batches, I can keep trying. They are always edible, just not exactly what I am looking for.

reply by: kaf-sub-rius on August 07, 2015 at 10:22 am
      I have also been tweaking this recipe for some time to get the taste I'm looking for. I think you've chosen a great time of year to do this. The Kirby's are lovely now.

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by BakerAunt.
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.