English Muffins by Reagan

Home Forums Recipes English Muffins by Reagan

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

English Muffins
      Submitted by reagan on March 11, 2005 at 4:56 pm

These English Muffins have those great nooks and crannies. The original recipe is from Elton Brown, and I've added a few of my own little notes.

1/2 cup non-fat powdered milk
      1 T. sugar
      1 tsp. salt
      1 T. shortening (I use butter)
      1 cup hot water
      1 package dry yeast (I use Rapid Rise)
      1/8 tsp. sugar
      1/3 cup warm water
      2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
      Non-stick vegetable spray

Special equipment: electric griddle. Note: I don't have one but use the griddle that came with my stove, which is placed over the burners. Three-inch metal rings.

Note: I ordered my rings from K.A. and I think they are 4" rings. Small tuna cans with tops and bottoms removed will also work.

In a bowl combine the powdered milk, 1 T. of sugar, 1/2 tsp. of salt, shortening (butter), and hot water, stir until the sugar and salt are dissolved. Let cool.

In a separate bowl combine the yeast and 1/8 tsp. of sugar in 1/3 cup of warm water and rest until yeast has dissolved. Add this to the dry milk mixture.

Add the sifted flour and beat thoroughly with wooden spoon. Cover the bowl and let it rest in a warm place for 30 minutes.

Preheat the griddle to 300 degrees.

Add the remaining 1/2 tsp. of salt to the mixture and beat thoroughly. Place metal rings onto the griddle and coat lightly with vegetable spray. NOTE: I always sprinkle a little cornmeal on the griddle before filling the rings with the batter. Fill each ring almost half full. An ice cream scoop works well for this.

The original recipe says to cover the griddle pan with a lid and cook 5 to 6 minutes. NOTE: I don't have a lid, therefore I cook them with no lid and cook for 6 to 7 minutes. Flip rings using tongs and continue cooking for another 5 to 6 minutes or until golden brown. Place on a cooling rack, remove rings and cool.

These are really good toasted with your favorite jam or jelly. ENJOY!!!!

Spread the word
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.