Deluxe Cheesy Tuna Noodle Casserole

Home Forums Recipes Deluxe Cheesy Tuna Noodle Casserole

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Deluxe Cheesy Tuna Noodle Casserole

The tuna casserole or hot dish has been the subject of many jokes, but this version elevates the simple comfort food. I do not recall where the basic recipe originated, but I suspect it was from one of the evaporated milk companies. I replaced cheddar cheese with Gouda and replaced Worcestershire sauce with dried mustard. The spinach noodles are also my idea

1/2 cup chopped onion (optional)
      2 Tbs. butter
      2 Tbs. flour
      1 1/2 cups (one can) low-fat evaporated milk
      2/3 cups water
      1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
      1/2. tsp. dried mustard
      4 oz. (about 1 cup) shredded Gouda cheese
      2 (5 oz.) cans tuna, drained
      1 1/2 cups frozen peas, cooked

12 oz. spinach noodles (or regular noodles) cooked and drained

1/4 cup grated Gouda cheese

While noodles are cooking, melt butter in 3-quart saucepan. Saute onion, then stir in flour and dried mustard. Gradually add evaporated milk, while stirring, and then the water. Stirring constantly, cook over medium heat until mixture boils. Remove from heat. Stir in one cup of grated cheese and the pepper. Stir until cheese is melted. Stir in tuna, then peas. Add drained noodles. Spoon into pammed 2-3 quart casserole dish. Top with remaining 1/4 cup grated cheese.

Bake at 350F for 25 minutes.

Note: 2-quart casserole dish will be full to the top.

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by BakerAunt.
      Molly.heinz
      Participant

Great recipe!I was surpised by a result and it didn't take much time.Lately I used a multicooker like this one here for cooking casserole, so far works great!And your idea to add spinach noodles sounds interesting!Thank you for sharing!my multicooker

• This reply was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by Molly.heinz.
        BakerAunt
        Participant

Hi, Molly, and welcome to Nebraska Kitchen! I'm glad that you enjoyed the recipe.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.