Daily Quiz for May 15, 2020

Home Forums Followups to Daily Quizzes Daily Quiz for May 15, 2020

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

When were Corn Flakes invented?

[See the full post at: Daily Quiz for May 15, 2020]

Spread the word
      RiversideLen
      Participant

I got the date wrong but I knew why they were invented.

BakerAunt
        Participant

I answered correctly because I had done some reading on the Kellogg sanitorium. In investigating the history of our house, I discovered that our house was built by a pair of brother-in-laws, one of whom passed away at a relatively young age at the Kellogg sanitorium. It was 1918, and the newspaper story mentioned that he had been ill in Chicago the previous winter. I've wondered if he were one of the influenza epidemic casualties. There seems to have been quite a sanitorium push in Indiana and Michigan. One of the Indiana state parks hotels is a former sanitorium. The idea was to relax and take the nature cure. Ironic that cornflakes--not particularly natural--became a hyped breakfast food.

Joan Simpson
          Participant

I missed it.

RiversideLen
            Participant

If I am not mistaken, I believe Kellogg believed in a vegetarian diet and the cornflakes were developed to give people an alternate to the fat laden breakfasts that were typical of the time.

BakerAunt
              Participant

That's correct, Len, but he went a bit far in the other direction when it comes to breakfast. Oatmeal was always the better choice!

Italiancook
                Participant

I missed this and am surprised that cornflakes was ever considered healthful.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.