Daily Quiz for August 29, 2019

Home Forums Followups to Daily Quizzes Daily Quiz for August 29, 2019

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

90% of the commercial apple crop in the USA are apples from how many varieties?

[See the full post at: Daily Quiz for August 29, 2019]

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

I missed it. I listed off the ones I see in the store (did miss one of the top 5).

Joan Simpson
        Participant

I missed it.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I still haven't found the full list but here are varieties 6-10:

Golden Delicious
            McIntosh
            Cripp's Pink/Pink Lady
            Braeburn
            Jazz

The local pick-it orchard I use is just getting ready to open up for the season, but the variety I like best for pies, winesap, won't be available until early October. I hope the frost holds off till then. Last year the two days I had blocked out to go apple-picking were both heavy rain days, and slogging through an orchard in the mud wasn't for me. They have two Honeycrisp variants (Evercrisp and a new one called Rosalee) that have similar seasons to winesap.

skeptic7
            Participant

Missed it.

BakerAunt
              Participant

Early apples have shown up at the farmers market. I don't know what variety the "seconds" I used for applesauce were, but the pink applesauce had almost a "cherry" note. For eating, I bought a variety called Scarlet Gala for eating, and they are delicious.

At the orchard down near Peru that we visited in December (not a u-pick) last year, the Ever Crisp was a delicious eating apple that lasted well in the 48F garage during the winter. The small Winesaps also lasted well. We hope to visit that orchard again and put in a winter's supply.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

I haven't been to the Sunday farmers market here in a few weeks, they moved it to a new location a couple of years ago, about a mile further, and I really don't like the layout at the new location. I used to try to go every Sunday, I've been to maybe a third of them this season. The Saturday one is in downtown Lincoln, I haven't been there in a long while. It tends to have more artsy-craftsy vendors than food vendors, and no free parking.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.