Chocolate Pound Cakes and Quickbreads (3) from BC thread

Home Forums Threads Saved from the KAF Baking Circle Chocolate Pound Cakes and Quickbreads (3) from BC thread

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    S_Wirth
    Participant

swirth on October 01, 2013 at 1:14 pm

Here are three highly endorsed chocolate pound cakes that oldBC members always relied upon:
      --------------------------
      reply by: swirth on July 22, 2012 at 6:34 pm
      And one more chocolate pound cake recipe from the oldBC:
      -
      Chocolate Pound Cake
      Submitted by: MrsM
      -
      CHOCOLATE POUND CAKE
      -
      Nick Malgieri, How To Bake, page 282
      -
      1 cup bleached AP flour (4 1/2 ounces)
      1/4 teaspoon baking soda
      1/4 teaspoon baking powder
      1/4 teaspoon salt
      1 stick butter, room temperature
      1 cup sugar (7 ounces)
      3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
      2 eggs
      1 teaspoon vanilla
      1/2 cup sour cream
      -
      Grease and flour an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 3/4 inch loaf pan. Preheat oven to 325°; rack position middle level.
      -
      Mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside. Cream butter with sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add the cooled, melted chocolate. Add eggs, one at a time, and vanilla. With a rubber spatula, stir in half the flour mixture. Stir in the sour cream, then the rest of the flour mixture.
      -
      Scrape batter into prepared pan and smooth the top. Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool in the pan 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to completely cool.
      -----------------------------------------
      reply by: swirth on July 22, 2012 at 6:29 pm
      Here's another much raved about chocolate quick bread from the oldBC:
      -
      Buttermilk Chocolate Bread
      -
      1 cup sugar
      1/2 cup softened margarine or butter
      2 eggs
      1 cup buttermilk
      1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
      1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
      1/2 teaspoon baking powder
      1/2 teaspoon baking soda
      1/2 teaspoon salt
      1/3 cup chopped nuts
      -
      1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease bottom only of a 8 x 4 or 9 x 5-inch loaf pan. In mixing bowl, combine sugar and butter; blend well. Add eggs; beat well. Stir in buttermilk.
      -
      2. Add flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt; stir just until dry ingredients are moistened. Stir in nuts. Pour into prepared pan.
      -
      3. Bake at 350 for 55 to 65 minutes or until cake tester in center comes out clean. Cool 15 minutes; remove from pan. Cool 1 hour or until completely cooled. Wrap tightly and store in refrigerator.
      -
      Yield: 1 (12-slice) loaf
      -
      A variation from your friendly Doughboy: Feel like making it special? Diehard chocoholics can sprinkle chocolate chips on top of the loaf before baking. The sweet, melted chips add another dimension of chocolate.
      -------------------------------------
      reply by: swirth on July 22, 2012 at 5:59 pm
      Here's one folks on the oldBC loved to make:
      -
      Chocolate Sour Cream Poundcake (by Maddie)
      -
      1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
      1/2 cup (Dutch process) cocoa powder
      1 teaspoon baking powder
      1/4 teaspoon baking soda
      2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
      1 1/2 cups sugar
      2 large eggs
      1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
      one 8-ounce container sour cream
      -
      Preheat oven to 350 degrees
      -
      Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder, and baking soda and stir well to mix. Sift the dry ingredients.
      -
      Beat the butter and sugar together, beat in eggs, one at a time, making sure each is well incorporated.
      -
      Beat in half of the dry ingredients, add the sour cream and vanilla, then beat in the remainder of the dry ingredients.
      -
      Scrape batter into a buttered loaf pan, (10 x 5 inch pan) and bake for 55-65 minutes.
      -
      Cool in pan on a rack for 5 minutes, then turn out of pan

Spread the word
      Nina Beyt
      Participant

They ALL sound good; too bad I didn't make one yesterday instead of the "Chocolate Cobbler" my SIL raved about. Frank loves it; me, not so much. Have you ever made one of these? It's similar to a 'lemon pudding cake' except it's made with cocoa. Too much sugar though, and not enough cocoa. Easy to fix now that I know.

KP sent me the Malgieri book but I'm copying the other recipes. Thanks, swirth.

cwcdesign
        Participant

Nina, sounds like my Chocolate Eclipse Cake that I posted on the BC. It is always very popular and delicious. Can post it again if you like.

wonky
          Participant

Oh boy...I guess I'm going to have to break down and ask for help. I have been replying to posts, but for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to start a new thread. Please don't all laugh at once...

Could someone take me by the hand and show me how to do this? :<(

S_Wirth
            Participant

Click on Forums Index at the top, then click on a category you want to start a post in, say, Member News, scroll down a ways for a box to type in and write your post. Just above the box you type in, there is a long narrow box to place your post title in. Then when finished and ready to send your post, scroll way down for a turquoise colored box that says Submit, Hit Submit and your post should show up on the right side-bar.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

I just added a 'Start New Topic' entry under the 'Search Forums' tab. That should make it easier to start a new topic. Be sure to select the Forum you want it in, the default is 'General Discussions'.

Another way is to select the category you want to post in from the list in the right hand column (below the list of new recipes), then follow Sarah's instructions.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by Mike Nolan.
                • This reply was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by htfoot.
                wonky
                Participant

Thanks Mike... should have asked sooner. And also, just wanted to thank you again for providing this venue for us. Wonky

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

A well-run website evolves over time in response to user needs.

Nina Beyt
                    Participant

Carol, of course, I would love your recipe when you have a few minutes. I sometimes wonder how you manage with all the irons you have in various fires, and wonder how you have time to cook. I did look in my saved recipes and was surprised that it wasn't there. I guess I'm on a chocolate cake for Frank kick which lets me eat ice cream or frozen grapes or anything cool. . . . I'm already on two changes of clothes/two showers a day. Arrgggg. Summer's here.

cwcdesign
                      Participant

I've posted it in recipes. I love this recipe because I can put together the parts in the morning and can combine together and bake after work to take to a dinner party. It is so quick and easy.No need for an electric mixer. I've also used all different kinds of cocoa powder from Hershey's to Double Dutch. People always ask for the recipe.

Oh,BTW, you'll note that my weight of brown sugar doesn't quite add up - I prefer to use a little less sugar - hence 7 ounces/cup instead of 7 1/2

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.