Chocolate Chip-Toffee Scones

Home Forums Recipes Chocolate Chip-Toffee Scones

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Chocolate Chip-Toffee Scones

I have adapted this recipe, from the Fresh Cream Café in Ann Arbor, Michigan, which appeared in the RSVP section of Bon Appetit in the September 1997 issue. I substituted in the barley flour in order to give them some nutritional value. (Barley flour is low in gluten, so it works well in scones.) I used heavy whipping cream (see discussion on this site). I also shaped it as two six-inch circles rather than a twelve-inch circle. The chocolate chips tend to overwhelm the other flavors, so if you want more subtlety, use 1/2 cup. I did not use the topping, but I did sprinkle them with coarse white sugar. Be sure to toast the nuts in advance, and to refrigerate the bowl and mixer beaters for the whipped cream.

2 1/4 Cups flour (I used Gold Medal)
      1 Cup barley flour (I used Bob's Red Mill)
      1/2 Cup sugar
      1 Tbs. plus 1 tsp. baking powder
      1/4 tsp. salt

1 Cup semisweet chocolate chips
      1/2 Cup chocolate-covered English toffee bits (I used non-chocolate covered Heath Bar toffee pieces.)
      1/2 Cup walnuts, chopped and toasted (350F for 6-7 minutes)--cooled

2 Cups chilled heavy whipping cream

Topping if desired:
      2 Tbs. (1/4 stick) unsalted butter, melted
      Additional sugar

Preheat oven to 350F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, combine flours, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Stir in chocolate chips, toffee chips, and nuts.

In another large bowl (preferably one that has been chilled in the refrigerator, along with the mixer beaters), beat cream until stiff peaks form. (Note: be careful not to overbeat. When you see those peaks form as you beat, stop. I did slightly overbeat, and the recipe still worked, but next time I will be more observant.) Fold whipped cream into dry ingredients. I started with a spatula, then moved to a dough scraper. Turn out onto a piece of parchment paper, and knead gently until soft dough forms, about two minutes.

Divide dough in half. (I always use a scale.) Pat each half into a 6-inch round, 1 and 1/4-inches thick. With wet bench knife, cut each into six triangles. Move triangles to parchment-lined, large baking sheet. If desired, brush with melted butter and sprinkle with additional sugar. (I did not brush with butter, but I did sprinkle them with coarse white sugar.)

Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes. (I used a heavy baking sheet, so I baked them 23 minutes.) Let set on pan for a couple of minutes, then move to rack to cool.

These scones are good warm or at room temperature.

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by BakerAunt.
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.