Blackberry Chia Seed Refrigerator Jam

Home Forums Recipes Blackberry Chia Seed Refrigerator Jam

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Blackberry Chia Seed Refrigerator Jam
      Marliss Desens adapted a recipe from the site, "the kitchn," in order to use de-seeded blackberries.

2 cups of de-seeded blackberries (will look like 2 cups puree)

1 Tbs. lemon juice
      6 Tbs. sugar

3 Tbs. chia seed (may need an additional tsp.)

Place puree in a 1-quart saucepan and set over medium heat for about 10 minutes until slightly thickened.

Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice and sugar. Taste and add any additional lemon juice or sugar that you deem necessary. Stir in the chia seed, beginning with 3 Tbs. Allow to stand for 5 minutes to thicken. Although it will thicken more in the refrigerator, if it seems too thin, stir in an additional teaspoon of chia seed at this time.

Place in container and let cool. Refrigerate or freeze. The jam will thicken over the next couple of days. Use within two weeks.

Note: I have also made blueberry chia seed jam using 2 ¼ cups marginal blueberries. I use the same amount of lemon juice but only about 4 Tbs. sugar, depending on sweetness of berries. I used 2 Tbs. plus 2 tsp. chia seed to thicken it. I have not had occasion to experiment with other fruits.

What I changed: The original recipe uses 2 cups of chopped fresh fruit, which is then cooked for 10 minutes or until it starts to break down and then mashed before proceeding. It used 1-2 Tbs. lemon juice, but I find 1 Tbs. is plenty. The recipe calls for 1-2 Tbs. honey, agave, maple syrup, or sugar. I increased the sugar, as honey and maple syrup are sweeter than sugar. Let the fruit be your guide. I prefer the jam to be not too sweet when it will be used as a bar filling. It called for 2 Tbs. chia seed and more as needed. I found more was needed for a firmer consistency, but it will likely vary with the fruit.

Spread the word
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.