Arsenic in rice

Home Forums Cooking โ€” (other than baking) Arsenic in rice

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    S_Wirth
    Participant

Has anyone been following all the news on arsenic levels in rice? Consumer Reports has been giving apple juice arsenic levels news since 2011 or 2012 and they have been testing rice of many kinds with grim results. Rice is a mainstay for many and the test results were eye-opening.

You can search on it but some of the main points were rice grown in Texas, Arkansas and Louisiana has the highest levels of arsenic due to soil and water the rice is grown in/with. California grown rices had 38% less arsenic than the three just mentioned. Brown rice of all kinds had the very worst levels of arsenic and many people eat brown rice thinking it is more healthy.

After much rice discussion on the Baking Circle earlier we have been enjoying lots of arborio rice since late in 2015. The brand we have been buying, Rice Select, is grown in Texas...great news for us, not!

There were three cancer risks...lung, kidney and another kind I cannot recall associated with the arsenic levels found in rice. I saw a program on TV with Consumer Reports officials and have read online a good bit since the TV show.

Always something!

Spread the word
      skeptic7
      Participant

I was reading Consumer Reports about arsenic levels in rice too. Basmati rice has lower levels than most other forms of rice and I am now eating mainly that type.
        White rice has less arsenic than brown rice as some of the arsenic is in the bran. I've stuck to eating brown rice as its suppose to be less caloric.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

This article seems to suggest that this isn't a major heath risk:

Arsenic in Food

S_Wirth
          Participant

I'll probably buy California grown Lundberg Family Farms rice. We love the arborio as it is so creamy and I hate to give it up. We eat lots of rice 'n raisins and some chicken/rice dishes I can make easily. When I grew up, we had Riceland long grain rice and in my married life, we have used Riceland brown rice. We live in a very small area with one grocery store in the whole county so I've been ordering arborio rice from jet.com which is very handy, free shipping and 2-day delivery plus good price. They have the Lundberg arborio, a little pricier than Rice Select, but I can live with that for 38% less arsenic.

The test results were scary for infants and children. Recommending using different grains for their cereals instead of rice was the main finding. My son, age 46, needed more that just formula or milk and I used a lot of baby rice cereal in his bottle, thinned down with the milk or formula, and it helped hold him over on being so hungry.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

Because arsenic is naturally occurring, rice has always had arsenic in it, as do most leafy vegetables. PUT THAT KALE DOWN, LADY, AND BACK AWAY FROM THE REFRIGERATOR!! ๐Ÿ™‚

These days they can measure chemicals in concentrations as low as one part per trillion. So, no matter what you're eating, there's probably a 99.9% chance it contains something that some list says is bad for you.

Moreover, nations with a diet largely based on rice often have a healthier population than the United States does

• This reply was modified 7 years, 11 months ago by Mike Nolan.
              Rascals1
              Participant

Arsenic is a natural occurring ingredient in a lot of things including tomatoes. although the chemicals for pest control may also have it.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 11 months ago by Rascals1.
              Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.