Another empty shelf

Home Forums General Discussions Another empty shelf

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

It looks like Welch's Red Grape Juice is no longer available, whether that's a short term supply issue or a discontinuance is unclear. I can still find the Concord grape juice and the white grape juice.

Concord grape juice is, well, just more intense. And the cheap/off brands are, if you look at the label, mostly apple and/or pear juice, grape juice is usually the last fruit listed on the label.

Spread the word
      Italiancook
      Participant

My favorite is the Concord Grape. It's been a while since we've been able to find it in the half-gallon-sized bottles. Sam's hasn't had it for most of the pandemic -- may have stopped carrying it. Grocery has the family-sized bottles. I don't like them, even though we buy them. They take up too much space in the refrigerator.

It's also hard to find milk in half-gallon bottles. I don't like it in gallons, either, but we buy it when necessary.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

We tend to buy the half-gallons of milk because the gallon one is just too heavy for my wife.

The half-gallon of 1% (house brand) was $2.59 the other day, the gallon (also a house brand) was only about 30 cents higher.

I've tried decanting milk from the gallon jug to a half-gallon one, but it never seems to last as long after that.

BakerAunt
          Participant

I go through a gallon of 1% milk a week, partly because I make yogurt every six days and need to feed my milk-based sourdough every two weeks or so at least, since that is how often I bake crackers, and I also use it in other baking. I also drink milk with dessert and use it in making my morning oatmeal.

My husband cannot drink regular milk. Recently, we bought him some lactose-free milk, and he is delighted to be able to have milk with cake or pie again; he just wishes that it came as 1%; only nonfat or 2% are available in our area.

BakerAunt
            Participant

I have some glass jugs in quart and 2-quart sizes, as well as a 2-cup one. These have plastic lids that can lock into place. (KABC sells the 2-qt. one.) I use these primarily for iced tea, but I have used the small one for milk when we travel, and it keeps well.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.