A basic baking library

Home Forums General Discussions A basic baking library

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

If you were asked by someone to recommend a few books on baking to start a library for aspiring bakers, what books would you recommend?

I'd want at least one of Peter Reinhart's books, probably The Bread Baker's Apprentice. The Artisan Bread Every Day book would be a close second choice, with his Whole Grains book 3rd, or 2nd for those who have a strong interest in whole grains baking. (I haven't looked at his most recent book yet.)

It isn't a baking book, not even a cookbook, but I'd probably include Harold McGee's On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen. There are cookbooks that tell you what to do and there are books that tell you why to do it. McGee is one of the latter.

For pies and cakes, I'd go with Susan Purdy's books, As Easy as Pie and A Piece of Cake, although I think the latter book has changed title in its most recent revision. Although I'm a fan of Rose Levy Beranbaum's The Cake Bible and The Bread Bible, I find I use Susan Purdy's recipes more often.

That's my starting list, what's yours?

Spread the word
      Italiancook
      Participant

Sorry, Mike, I don't have any baking book recommendations. Other than birthday cakes, which were iced simply, I didn't start baking until 2001. I didn't purchase any books dedicated to baking until 2015.

BakerAunt
        Participant

Susan Purdy's book's title was changed to The Perfect Cake. It is a lot friendlier than RLB's cake book. I agree that it belongs in every baker's library. I hope to get my hands on her pie book one of these days.

My list would include the KAF Wholegrain Baking Book, because it does discuss techniques for incorporating wholegrains and got me to bake with a wide variety of flours--which is why we need two refrigerators. I also like Bernard Clayton's The Complete Book of Breads, although the recipes use more yeast than necessary, which was typical of bread books of that time, and so need to be adjusted.

This topic made me realize that I've been doing a lot of my baking from the KAF site, some magazines, some e-mails, and this site (and once the Baking Circle). With my cookbooks, I seem to pull from various ones at different times. I probably use the KAF 200th Anniversary Cookbook more than the KAF Cookie Companion or KAF general baking book.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 6 months ago by BakerAunt.
          • This reply was modified 7 years, 6 months ago by BakerAunt. Reason: proofreading error
          • This reply was modified 7 years, 6 months ago by BakerAunt.
          aaronatthedoublef
          Participant

One of my all-time favorites is Rosie's Bakery All Butter, Fresh Cream Sugar-Packed Baking Book. The old version I have is available used on Amazon. There appears to be a newer edition available though.

I love that book

Like BakerAunt, I think RLB can be a little challenging. She left an important step out of her buttercream recipe that caused me to lose several batches before I asked my friend and she told me what I was doing wrong. I also like the Bernard Clayton Complete Book of Bread.

Peter Reinhart's BBA is a great read even if you never make a recipe from it.

I really like the KAF Baker's Companion. I use it a lot. I also like Jacques Torres Dessert Circus. But it is very expensive now. I bought it on remainder at the public television store after they cancelled the series.

I am still a big fan of The Joy of Cooking. I have several different editions including my mom's from the 50s and I like it better than the Mark Bittman or the New York Times attempts to displace it.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

I collect old editions of the Joy of Cooking, the ones from the mid to late 40's had some recipes that got dropped in later versions. (True first editions are expensive, but it has been reprinted.)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.