4th of July

Home Forums Member News 4th of July

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Here's a photo of the start of our street's 4th of July parade today. I've got a video, too, but it is pretty big I'm not sure if I can get it posted here or not.

4thofjulyparade

Spread the word
      Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

As I suspected the video is way too big to post, but here's a shot of the first wave of the parade.

parade2

Our little two-block long street has been doing this parade for a few years now, getting participants from the whole neighborhood. They skipped 2020 because of the pandemic, of course, but this year's turnout may have been the largest one so far.

Attachments:
        You must be logged in to view attached files.
        Joan Simpson
        Participant

Happy 4th to everyone.We stayed home had hotdogs and watched fireworks at the neighbors.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

At one point last night I told my wife I thought Kansas was winning the battle against South Dakota for control of Nebraska. Tonight the fireworks aren't quite as vigorous.

BakerAunt
            Participant

We decided to leave town with our very sensitive dog to avoid the fireworks. Although our neighbors started with fireworks in the back on July 1, they stopped when requested and agreed to hold off until July 3 and 4 when we would be gone. Originally, we planned to leave early on the 4th, but then the chamber of commerce announced that 3 July would be the show, so we needed to leave early. We spent the evening of July 3 with one of my husband's cousins and his wife. This would be the year that Bloomington had more fireworks than they have ever heard before. (So much for the reported fireworks shortage muttered my husband.) We ended up turning a large fan on high and pointing it at the poor dog. (If a dog could be catatonic, she was.) Things went better on 4 July. My husband had made reservations back in the spring for us to stay at the inn at Spring Mill State Park, which was further away from towns and had a dog room available. We tried to walk her that evening, but somewhere, someone was shooting off something at 9 p.m., before it was even dark, so we got her back into the room, which is nicely insulated from noise, and she passed a peaceful night.

The good parts of the trip were that we were able to protect our dog, we had a great time with the cousins, and I was able to purchase another four pounds of the stoneground cornmeal produced on the Spring Mill working grist mill. These are now safely tucked in the freezer.

The bad part of the trip is the hot and humid weather made it not great for hiking, and we only got in a 30 minute hike this morning, which we had to end because the dog was getting badly overheated. We cooled her down in the inn hotel room before checking out and beginning the drive home. There is a reason we prefer fall and winter in the parks.

I miss being able to enjoy the 4th of July. The fireworks sound like a battle zone, and they go off all over the place. I can't enjoy the town parade anymore either because they are too fond of using all the sirens on every fire engine. I made the mistake of taking our dog once, and she and I both found the sirens painful to our ears. I have not gone to a parade here since that time.

BakerAunt
              Participant

One last comment on fireworks from Breaking Cat News comic strip:

https://www.gocomics.com/breaking-cat-news/2021/07/04

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

We used to live about a block from a school that had the neighborhood air raid siren. Every Wednesday when they'd do the 10:30AM test, the neighbor's dog would howl until several minutes after the sirens stopped.

In our current house, unless the windows are open I don't even hear the sirens on Wednesday.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.