2023 Garden Plans

Home Forums Gardening 2023 Garden Plans

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 116 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Most of my tomatoes have been moved into 3" pots. We bought some Hales Best cantaloupe plants at the UNL Horticulture Club sale last week, so now I've got enough melon plants. Still just 2 spaghetti squash plants, but that may still produce more spaghetti squash than we normally eat in a year.

I also set up another Aerogarden, same varieties as the last one, but a few more snow peas and not quite as much lettuce.

The UNL Urban Soil Improvement project we're participating in provided some compost, I bought enough extra to do the entire tomato garden area, hopefully I can get started on prepping that area this weekend.

Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

I'm tilling the vegetable garden today, two passes to loosen the soil and then at least one to till in the compost that is part of the Nebraska Urban Soil Health Initiative study we're in. Tomorrow I hope to put back the landscape cloth, probably replacing about half of it, and then plant tomatoes and other plants on Monday.

It got down to about 40 last night but the two week forecast doesn't show any lows below the mid 40's, so hopefully it is late enough that we won't get a cold snap like we did last year, a day after the plants went in. :sigh:

chocomouse
        Participant

My husband will rototill the garden a second time and put up the electric fence this coming week. We had a heavy frost here Thursday night, 24*. I covered the 5-6 pots of herb and flower seedlings on the deck with a doubled blanket, and they are fine. The radishes, beets, spinach and lettuces that had just germinated in the deck planters are also OK. No other vegetables are planted yet, not until Memorial Day weekend. However, it appears that about half of the blueberry flowers are dead, along with a lot of the ferns. I haven't looked at the apple blossoms, and the blackberry and raspberry plants don't have buds yet. Our average last frost day is May 15, but a frost in mid-May is usually about 30*, never as low as 24*. The weather has been weird here this year, with huge temperature swings from 30s one day to upper 80s the next, and what seems like constant winds of 8-10 mph.

BakerAunt
          Participant

My husband has started planting our small garden. He first had to put chicken wire around the bottom because we have a little rabbit living in our yard, with occasional visits from a larger rabbit. So far, the dog has ignored the small rabbit, although we still keep an eye on her. The small rabbit has been content to munch on our grass and the leaves of the invasive violets that are all over the yard. As long as it stays out of the garden, we will coexist.

The honey nut squash are planted, along with some seed from those large outlier squash that we got last year. It will be interesting to see how the latter hybridized. My husband also planted the first row of beans. He will wait to plant the second, so that we can have a continuous bean crop. He also planted snow peas, which sometimes do well and sometimes do not. He planted lettuce, spinach, and kale. So far, only the kale has come up. The tomato and pepper plants he started should be ready to go in soon.

I am so sorry, Chocomouse, about the blueberries! Those extreme weather swings are the worst, since the plants come out in the warm weather, then get zapped by extreme cold. I hope there is limited damage to the rest.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

I replace half of the landscape fabric yesterday with some new 6 foot wide strips, I like those better than the 3 foot wide ones, and I now have more overlap between strips, which makes for better weed control.

I got in one row of 6 tomatoes this morning before it got too warm, I'll put more in this evening and possibly the rest tomorrow.

chocomouse
              Participant

Two nights ago we had horrendous downpours for several hours, a total of 1.02 inches of rain. Our gutters were pretty much filled with pine needles from the winter, so the water poured over the edge of the gutter and onto the planters and pots that I had put on the deck; everything was flooded. All my un-sprouted seeds were washed away, dirt was washed out of some pots, leaving bare roots, and other pots' drainage holes were clogged so plants were floating. I spent most of today cleaning up those messes. Tomorrow I will shop for Celebrity tomatoes and replacement herbs. Then I might spend quality time in the flower beds, yelling, swearing and angrily yanking out weeds from between the clusters of columbine, peonies, and lupines. I love to weed because they don't talk back!

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

Oh dear, that's no fun to lose your plants.

I got two more rows of tomatoes planted tonight, so I'm 2/3 done with the tomatoes. I still have broccoli, spaghetti squash, melons and some leeks to put in, but I should be able to finish most of that tomorrow.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

I'm so sorry about the rain damage, Chocomouse. Some therapeutic weeding is definitely needed.

My husband planted some heirloom irises three years ago. Three of the four kinds have bloomed before and are doing so this year. The fourth, Indian Chief, is blooming for the first time this year, and it is exquisite. As these are the tall irises, my husband has had to put some supports in to keep them from falling over.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

Got the rest of the garden in today, 25 tomato plants, 6 broccoli, 2 spaghetti squash, 2 hills of Hales Best cantaloupe, and a hill of zucchini, plus two rows of leeks, around 20.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

That's a great garden, Mike.

We have a chipmunk that has taken up residence in our small garden--burrow and all. It has eaten three of the squash seed my husband planted. He is now at work on how to protect the rest and replant.

chocomouse
                        Participant

I wonder if there is some form of screen that is small enough to keep the chipmunk from getting digging through, yet large enough to allow the germinating squash to grow up through? Or perhaps, he could form a "basket"/cage out of fine screening and place it over the planted seed? He would need to remove the basket as the seed germinated and grew. I had squirrels and chipmunks dig up seeds in the raised planter beds on my deck. I was able to stand plastic forks tine side up in the dirt which kept most of the critters out. We had a bear on the deck a couple of nights ago -- it doesn't mess around with the small stuff!

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

Would the holes in hardware cloth be too small if it was laid right on the ground over the seeds?

Fortunately we don't have to deal with chipmunks, just squirrels, raccoons, opossums, voles and 13 lined ground squirrels (and now a fox is visiting the balcony at night, he likes peanuts!), but last year the squirrels ate most of my wife's gazanias before they could even bloom, in past years they've at least waited for them to go to seed. They seemed to like the borage plants I tried to start last summer, too, though I actually did get a couple of them to bloom. The blooms aren't very big but they're a pretty shade of blue.

Some birds were pecking holes in my tomatoes last summer, I hope that doesn't happen again this year.

Joan Simpson
                            Participant

Sorry for your loss of plants with all the water Chocomouse and all the work to replant.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

Thanks, Chocomouse and Mike. The chipmunk would wait for the seed to germinate and begin coming up, and then it would devour it. My husband has fashioned cages out of half-inch hardware cloth. We will see if that deters the little varmints. We cannot let the dog into the garden area, as she would step on the plants and dig, but perhaps she could patrol the perimeter.

chocomouse
                                Participant

There is another possible solution to the seed-eating chipmunk -- and that is to start the seeds indoors and then transplant when they are a couple inches tall. I think I would try that, along with making cages to cover the seeds in the garden.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 116 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.