Reply To: Coming Through the Rye

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls Coming Through the Rye Reply To: Coming Through the Rye

Mike Nolan
Keymaster

Report on Sauerkraut Bread (The Rye Baker pps 212-214):

sauerkraut-rye‑1

This recipe made two loaves about 7 inches in diameter and 3 inches high. The baked weight was 787 grams (27 3/4 ounces.)

I wound up adding a bit more flour than the recipe called for, I think I mis-measured the water, but the dough came together fairly well. However, the dough weight was still a little less than what the recipe suggested, so maybe I worked less flour into the dough during shaping.

It slices better after sitting overnight.

sauerkraut-rye‑2

I didn't have Polish sauerkraut so I used what I had, the kraut isn't overly assertive but it does add to the aroma of the bread when toasting it and the flavor is reminiscent of sauerkraut that has been cooked with sausage.

I tried it in a Reuben sandwich, the flavor of the baked sauerkraut clashed a bit with the raw sauerkraut, and I think the biggest challenge with this bread might be figuring out what foods pair best with it.

It tastes good toasted with a little butter, but the sauerkraut flavor probably wouldn't pair well with things you normally spread on toast, like jams. I probably would not make this bread unless I had a specific meal I wanted to make that the sauerkraut taste would pair with.

For comments on the preparation of this recipe, see Sauerkraut Rye Comments

Followup: I tried a slice with some cheddar cheese spread on it today, it was very good. Either the sauerkraut has mellowed or it pairs quite well with the cheese spread.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by Mike Nolan.
    Attachments:
    1. Sauerkraut Rye Bread

2. Sauerkraut Rye Bread Interior