What are you Cooking the week of November 11, 2018?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the week of November 11, 2018?

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    chocomouse
    Participant

That sounds really good, Joan. I've been wanting a ham steak, but am also thinking about mashed potatoes with it.

BakerAunt
      Participant

For lunch today, I made Black Bean Pumpkin soup, from a recipe that I found at Smitten Kitchen:

I made a few changes (why do I hear Wonky giggling in the background?):

I used 1 pound, 8 oz. of my homemade pumpkin puree. (I'm using up that white pumpkin that I don't care for in my baked goods.

I deleted the 1/2 cup minced shallot--(I'm not sure why shallot is used with onion, and I was not going to find them in a small town grocery store.)

I reduced the cumin to 1 1/2 tsp. (I want to be able to taste the sherry!) I added it later, along with the pepper.

I used 14 oz. diced tomatoes in very little juice, so I put it all in.

I deleted the salt (There was plenty in the black beans, as I could not find low-sodium in this store, and I did not want to take the time to cook my own.)

I used 2 Tbs. olive oil in place of the 4 Tbs. butter. (I'm saving butter for a recipe where it is essential.)

I used 1 Tbs. of Penzey's beef base with 4 cups boiling water. (Plenty of salt in there as well.)

I did not add diced ham or sherry vinegar. (I have neither in the house.)

The soup is delicious--and the reduced spice is just right for me. It's a healthy soup, although somewhat high in sodium but does not taste salty. I can reduce the salt content next time by cooking my black beans from scratch. I'm looking forward to having this soup for lunches into the coming week.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by BakerAunt.
        Joan Simpson
        Participant

Thanks Chocomouse it was good.
          BakerAunt that soup sounds very good!
          Tonight we're eating more left overs...Pork tenderloin,black eyed peas,fresh potato salad and corn bread.

BakerAunt
          Participant

Joan--it would go well with your ham!

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

We had stuffed red peppers for supper.

chocomouse
              Participant

Delicious dinner tonight! Penne with marinara and sausage, big chunks of onion and brll pepper, and a green salad. Leftovers will make a meal one night next week.

BakerAunt
                Participant

I had not intended for today to be a Smitten Kitchen fest, but I did not have time to make this recipe for dinner yesterday, and truth be told, after spending four hours with Microsoft to sort out why I could not view any of my Word documents, I only made it tonight because we had nothing else to eat other than this planned meal.

This recipe, “Tomato and Gigante Bean Bake/Pizza Beans,” is from Deb Perelman’s second cookbook, Smitten Kitchen Every Day (143-144). I’m grateful that it went together fast, and dinner was only an hour late. I used large lima beans from Bob’s Red Mill, which I had cooked yesterday. I was unclear on the amount, so I cooked up 2 cups dried, and that seems to work well. I did not bother weighing the kale but grabbed a bunch and pronounced it enough. I nixed the red pepper flakes in favor of 1 tsp. Penzey’s Tuscan Seasoning. I added ¼ cup of broth from the beans to adjust the consistency. The recipe is basically a lima bean casserole with crushed tomatoes, sautéed onion, celery, carrots, and garlic. Mozzarella and Parmesan cheese go on top. We liked it, and I will make it again. It’s a good vegetarian main dish or side. It could easily accommodate ground turkey or ground beef

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.