What are You Cooking the Week of May 7, 2017?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are You Cooking the Week of May 7, 2017?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

For dinner tonight, I made one of our favorites, Dilled Salmon and Couscous (recipe on this site).

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

So far this week I've made chicken pot pie out of left over baked chicken and tonight we had Fried ham with rice and tomato gravy and garden pea salad.

BakerAunt
        Participant

On Thursday, I made an enormous pot of soup, using onion, garlic, red bell pepper, mushrooms, celery, carrots, canned low-salt Spam, some beans I had frozen, about 10 cups broth, a can of diced tomatoes, 1 1/2 cups of pearl barley, 1 Tbs. Penzey's Paprika Smoked Spanish Style, 1/2 tsp. chili powder, 1/4 tsp. cayenne, and fresh parsley. I began by sautéing chopped onion and garlic in olive oil, then added the red bell pepper, and mushrooms, and chopped celery. I added the cubed Spam, then the chopped carrots. Then I added the rest of the ingredients, brought to a boil, then simmered for 30 minutes.

I like to do "throw together soups," using what I have around the house. (A can of Spam is unusual.) The hard part for me is figuring out the spices. I've used the paprika blend for pot roast, but after adding it here, I felt it needed a gentle kick, so I added the chili powder and cayenne. Of course, my broth is flavored with rosemary, sage, thyme, and sweet curry powder. I will freeze some of it, but the rest will get me through lunches in a very busy week ahead.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 11 months ago by BakerAunt.
          BakerAunt
          Participant

For dinner on Friday, I made the Dilled Salmon and Couscous again, even though we had it on Sunday. It's fast and healthy, and at the end of the semester, that is what I need to cook.

BakerAunt
            Participant

Tonight I made my version of my Mom's Hamburger Stroganoff and served it over a combination of brown and black rice.

cwcdesign
              Participant

For Thursday's garden club picnic, I made Ina's roasted vegetable and orzo salad. For dinner last night, I made a kale/romaine Caesar salad with blackened chicken from the market.
                Hopefully this week we'll test drive my new grill!

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

I bought a bag of morels at the farmer's market last weekend, and I've been playing around with using them in some recipes. Tonight I'm doing crab stuffed morels.

$40 a pound is about average around here for morels. But one of the stores had eggs on sale (59 cents for an 18-pack), so it sort of averages out. If the weather doesn't get too hot I'll do a souffle later this week.

RiversideLen
                  Participant

Yesterday I made Risotto for the first time. I've never had it before so I don't have a standard to judge it by. I think it came out pretty good. I used Swanson's Chicken Cooking Stock which is no added salt and has pretty good flavor, and added a half cup of fresh grated Parm Reggiano. I'm not real big on a lot of cheeses and for my taste I think 1/4 cup would have been better. But then today I heated the leftovers in a non stick skillet and it caramelized quite nicely. I like caramelized parm so it worked out.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

I've only made risotto a few times and haven't had it in restaurants much, either, but if you watch Hell's Kitchen, it's one of Gordon Ramsay's standard dishes for testing a cook, and he's pretty fussy about it, not too firm, not too liquid. (When I have had it in restaurants, it's generally been firmer than what it looks like on Hell's Kitchen.)

I avoid most packaged stocks because they usually have garlic in them, and most of them don't taste like anything I'd want to consume. (If you've ever been to a Zoup restaurant, they advertise that their stock is good enough to drink, and they sell their stock in jars and I've seen it in a local grocery store, too.)

I always have several containers (ranging from a few ounces to several quarts) of stock in the freezer, I currently have white chicken stock, brown chicken stock (the meat/bones are roasted first), beef stock, veal stock, duck stock and goose stock on hand. I've never made or used vegetable stock.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.