What are you Baking the Week of September 20, 2020?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of September 20, 2020?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

No baking planned here yet.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

On Sunday, I baked a half recipe of Toffee-Pumpkin Snack Cake, a recipe form Better Homes & Gardens Fall Baking (2017), p. 28. I reduce the canola oil in the half recipe to 1/3 cup and make up the ½ cup with buttermilk. I reduced the half sugar from ¾ to 2/3 cup. I use my own spice mixture in place of pumpkin pie spice. In the half recipe, I use a scant ¼ cup (45g) of toffee pieces, which I put into the bars. I sprinkled autumn-colored nonpareils thickly on top.

I'll be working through the remaining frozen pumpkin. I have bought five pie pumpkins from the farmers market, and I may try to get a couple more.

chocomouse
        Participant

I made my variation of Crusty Gruyere Loaves, KAF recipe. I used half bread and half AP flour, so they are nice and chewy. I added about a cup of chopped green olives and used a combo of Jarlsberg and cheddar cheese, a generous 2 cups (I put end pieces of cheese that are on the verge of molding into bags in the freezer for later use; they don't slice well for anything fancy, but are great for crumbled cheese). I rolled the dough into a rectangle about 9 x 24, sprinkled with the olives and cheese, rolled up and then cut into 24 slices each about 1 inch wide. I put them into heavily sprayed muffin tins and baked for 20 minutes at 400. They are nicely browned and came out of the muffins tins without sticking. Will be perfect with tomato soup!

Joan Simpson
          Participant

I made cinnamon rolls today used the cinnamon bread recipe from KAF,I added 2 eggs and upped the sugar to a little over 1/4 cup,also subbed in a cup of milk for water.They came out beautiful,the dough was so soft.It made 12 cinnamon rolls fit in 9x12 pan.I kept 3 and gave the rest to my sister in law.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

I made another batch of bagels today, using the 'wrap around the hand' method. You can see the overlap on the top right one (at about 10 o'clock) and at the bottom of the other 3 without cheese on top.

bagels5

This method makes a slightly smoother surface, because it hasn't been hand stretched.

Attachments:
              You must be logged in to view attached files.
              Joan Simpson
              Participant

Nice bagels Mike.

chocomouse
                Participant

I made bagels again today, probably the best batch I've made yet. Crispy outside, soft chewy inside, excellent flavor, nicely shape -- just about perfect! One change this time is I did not let the dough rest 20 minutes AFTER shaping it into balls; I decided it rested enough while I was weighing out and shaping the next portions. Instead, I immediately poked my finger through and twirled the dough when they were all into balls, and THEN I let them rise about 25 minutes. I think they rose more, although were still dense, and some of the shaping imperfections disappeared. Two have disappeared already!

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

What I generally do is shape bagels then let them rise long enough to get the water boiling. They're supposed to float when they've risen enough, mine always do.

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

The baking here today was the fresh bread,I made rolls and with half I made 9 cinnamon rolls.My husband actually ate a roll.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

You are winning him over to the baked-side, Joan! 🙂

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

I made a small Texas Chocolate Sheet Cake last night, and had some at lunch with some strawberries.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

On Saturday, I used leftover grated zucchini to bake my Squash, Whole Wheat, and Oat Quick bread, an adaptation of Ken Haedrich’s recipe in The Harvest Baker. I use a four-well Bundt loaf pan. I will reserve one for dessert and freeze the other three.

chocomouse
                            Participant

I made Bacon-Cheddar-Chive bisquits. I baked them on my Lodge cast-iron pizza pan, so the bottoms are nice and crisp.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.