What are you Baking the Week of October 16, 2022?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of October 16, 2022?

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

On Wednesday, I adapted the King Arthur recipe for Honey Oatmeal Rolls to bake a pan of sixteen dinner rolls to go with stew. I replaced a cup of water with buttermilk and increased the water from 1/3 to ½ cup. I replaced 4 Tbs. butter with 3 Tbs. avocado oil. I reduced the yeast from 2 ½ to 2 tsp. and the salt from 1 ½ to 1 tsp. Instead of using all bread flour, I substituted 2 cups whole wheat for the same amount of bread flour and added 2 Tbs. special dried milk. I did not bother with glazing and topping. We really like the flavor, and the oats do not get lost behind the whole wheat.

On Wednesday, I also baked an adaptation of King Arthur's Whole Wheat Apple Cider Baked Doughnuts. I used white whole wheat and cut the salt to ½ tsp. I also cut the sugar by ¼ cup and added 1 Tbs. milk powder. I used unsweetened applesauce that I made and froze last year. I usually reduce the amount of boiled cider and vanilla, but I forgot to put those ingredients in, as I had three recipes going at once in the kitchen. However, the doughnuts are still delicious. When they were hot from the oven, I sprinkled them with Penzey's Cinnamon Sugar (blend includes vanilla), and it adhered nicely to the warm doughnuts.

I had to get my baking in today because tomorrow I go for the latest Covid-19 vaccine.

BakerAunt
      Participant

On Saturday I made dough for Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers, which I will bake next week.

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.