Swapping Olive Oil for Butter

Home Forums General Discussions Swapping Olive Oil for Butter

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    cwcdesign
    Participant

I know many of you already do this, but I was interested in this short article from Food & Wine about when and how to substitute olive oil for butter in baking.
      https://www.foodandwine.com/syndication/how-when-substitute-olive-oil-butter-baking

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

It also depends on the recipe. I use olive oil in whole grain breads, and it does not affect taste. I've used it in chocolate cake, and it works well. I'm more reluctant to use it in a vanilla cake. I have not tried it in sweet pie crusts, but it would probably work for a savory pie crust. I am eying a recipe for a graham cracker crust made with olive oil, as I would like to try a Key Lime Pie, or rather, Key Lime mini-pies, so that I can freeze some of them rather than eating it over a week, due to the sweetened condensed milk it requires.

I use canola oil when I want to limit the taste of the oil. I've also used grapeseed oil with a little butter in streusels. Avocado oil has been recommended to me by several people, but I wonder if it could be used fast enough not to go rancid.

BakerAunt
        Participant

One additional note on swapping olive or canola oil for butter in cakes. You will want to mix the wet ingredients together, then stir in the dry ingredients, being careful not to overmix. Otherwise, you will get a tough cake.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.