Splenda Allergy

Home Forums Baking — Desserts Splenda Allergy

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Italiancook
    Participant

I learned something important and valuable today. I baked 10 dozen cookies (2 varieties). Except for Sugar Cookies, I always use one-half sugar and one-half Splenda in everything I bake. When I'm baking to deliver the product, I always tell the recipient about the ratio of Splenda. That gives the person the opportunity to refuse or throw away the gift if they object to artificial sweeteners.

Today, I offered 5 dozen of the cookies to a friend who was here working all day. I baked them for his children, but of course, expected him to eat some.

He informed me that he is allergic to Splenda!

He gracefully refused the cookies.

I never before had heard of a Splenda allergy, but I certainly didn't want to give him anything that would lead to a medical emergency.

I will continue to bake with half Splenda and half sugar, but I may change how I gift the finished product. I think I'll tell people in advance that I'm planning a treat for them. I'll list the ingredients and ask if they have any allergies to those. It really won't spoil the surprise. I won't tell them in advance what I'm baking, just that I am baking something.

I do this with dinner guests. I always ask in advance if they have any food allergies.

Don't worry -- I found a home for the 5 dozen cookies. The rest I froze or gave to my husband.

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

I doubt there are many things that SOMEONE isn't allergic to. I wonder if it's the sucralose or the maltodextrin that is used as a filler? (Especially since maltodextrin is often made from corn.)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.