Savory tomato tart

Home Forums Baking — Savory Savory tomato tart

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    cwcdesign
    Participant

I found this absolutely simple recipe online - a nice small tart, it looks like
      http://www.sheknows.com/food-and-recipes/articles/1045651/mediterranean-tomato-tart-recipe

I would love to try it as I'm heading off to the Farmer's Market shortly (it helps when you get a day off at the last minute). I have 2 questions. It calls for a short crust pastry round. I assume that means store bought, but I would like to make it. Is a short crust just another name for pie pastry? And, would it be whatever pie crust one prefers? Any suggestions? I'm thinking of trying Ken Haedrich's food processor recipe since I finally have a food processor (the yard sale score I made in June).

The other question has to do with the tart pan 13x3 inches. I no longer have any tart pans. So would a 9" pie pan be comparable?

Thanks!

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

It does look good, even if it did use a store-bought pastry crust. We made some savory tarts (including a quiche) in pastry class, I think we used a standard mealy pie crust (pate brisee) for them, but a pate a foncier (it has egg yolk in it) would be pretty good in a savory tart. We also made some tarts using puff pastry, I think that'd work well for this, too.

If you allow for 1 inch sides (I think my tart pan has 1/2 inch sides though), a 13x3 pan is about 75 square inches. If you allow 1" sides on a 9" pie pan, that's about 94 square inches, so you'd probably want to increase the amount of filling a little.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by Mike Nolan.
        cwcdesign
        Participant

So just for fun, I decided to see if I could find a 13x3" tart pan. Check Amazon, Webstaurantstore, Williams-Sonoma and Wayfair. Closest I could find was a 13x4.5. I even googled a 13x3" tart pan. Wonder where she got hers.

I have some puff pastry in the freezer. The Farmers' Market only had "regular" tomatoes - gorgeous, I got some. But, I think I'll get some of the mixed cherry tomatoes at the regular market and add until I'm comfortable.

Thanks for your help, Mike.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

Did you check fantes.com? They seem to have a wider variety of pans than most other places. Mine is 14x5 (and I was wrong, it is a full inch deep.)

What we did in pastry school was to cut 5 strips of puff pastry, one for the bottom and one for each of the sides, adjusting two of them for the thickness of the raw puff pastry. I don't recall but we may have sealed them together with a little egg, and I think we par-baked them so that they were set before adding the filling.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by Mike Nolan.
          Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.