Restaurants rediscovering whole wheat bread

Home Forums General Discussions Restaurants rediscovering whole wheat bread

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

An interesting article in the Wall Street Journal:
      Wall Street Journal article

But at $238 (per guest, presumably) for dinner, Blue Hill at Stone Barns sounds like a restaurant I'll never visit.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

I'm somewhat puzzled that the first chef does not seem to realize that interest in whole grain bread has been around for some time now. I do like his point about varieties of wheat flour, and I'm glad that the place is experimenting with them, and perhaps encouraging more varieties to be grown.

At that price, I won't be eating dinner at Blue Hill at Stone Barns either.

aaronatthedoublef
        Participant

I looked on their website and they have a cafe too. Although there isn't a menu or pricing for the cafe it's targeted at "hikers" and such so may be a bit more affordable.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

It may depend on when and where the chef/baker was trained. Some cooking and baking schools were late to the party on 'rediscovering' whole wheat breads. The artisan bread movement started in small bakeries and home kitchens.

I was interested in his $6000 flour mill, which looks like it is made of wood, I wonder if it was custom made?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.