King Arthur and Chef’s Catalog Offers

Home Forums General Discussions King Arthur and Chef’s Catalog Offers

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

King Arthur is offering free shipping over $49 AND a free container of Everything Bagel Topping.

Today only, Chef's Catalog is offering 20% off with code LUCKY. As usual, certain items are excluded from the offer, so see their list.

Spread the word
      RiversideLen
      Participant

To get the free bagel topping, you have to use the KAF email. I did put together an order and the while it showed I was getting free shipping, the bagel topping didn't show. So I opened the KAF email, clicked in it and went back to my cart, then the bagel topping was shown.

BakerAunt
        Participant

Interesting. I did not go through the email, and the bagel topping did get added, but it showed up at a later stage of the check-out process.

We will have to compare notes, Len, on what we do with our bagel topping!

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by BakerAunt.
          Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

As I recall, their 'everything' bagel topping includes garlic powder. We're pretty basic when it comes to bagels, I like mine with Asiago cheese (actually I use a 4 cheese blend from Sams Club) and my wife likes hers with some poppy seeds on them, or sometimes a combination of poppy seeds and sesame seeds.

BakerAunt
            Participant

I've never made bagels, although it is on my "must bake" list. I'm thinking that I can use the bagel topping for breads, although I'll be careful about which ones now that I know that garlic is involved. I do not see it co-existing happily with peanut butter or almond butter.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by BakerAunt.
              Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

Bagels are fairly easy to make, boiling them in an alkali bath leaches some of the starch from the surface, which helps achieve the firm exterior but creamy interior. I've seen some pretzel recipes (which are also boiled in an alkali solution) that just dipped them in a cold solution of water and baking soda, but I've never tried that with bagels.

Traditionally, a lye solution was used, but food grade lye is not something most kitchens have on hand. Baking soda only produces a mildly alkaline solution, no matter how much of it you add. (Anything over a couple of tablespoons is a total waste.) I usually add a little honey which is also mildly alkaline.

Baking the baking soda in the oven for an hour to produce sodium carbonate is something that's on my 'to do' list, that would raise the pH significantly, but still well below that of lye. (The New York Times suggested this some years back.)

Peter Reinhart's recipe in BBA produces nine full-sized bagels (4 to 4.5 ounces of dough each), but we prefer smaller ones, 3 ounces each. That's still about 45 carbs! His recipe in the Artisan book is similar but produces 6 bagels rather than 9.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.