Jim Leahy no knead pizza dough

Home Forums Baking — Savory Jim Leahy no knead pizza dough

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I'm also a :put the dough down and stretch it" person. I put mine on a piece of parchment paper and work from the center to get it to 12 inches. Once it is topped, I transfer the finished pizza on the parchment to the baking stone in the oven.

It's good to see you posting again Rottiedogs.

aaronatthedoublef
      Participant

RottieDog, that is exactly what Jim Leahy recommends in "My Bread". I tried that a couple weeks ago with no success. It was thick (Mr. Leahy says his is cracker thin) and chewy but tasted good. I kept tearing holes in it and repairing the holes.

Some of this may have been because it needed to rest more after I cut the dough.

This week I took the second half of the dough and used my rolling pin and rolled it out and put it on a half sheet. It was thin. Perhaps it was because the dough was rested or maybe it was just the rolling pin or maybe both.

I can turn pizza on my hands, toss it, or roll it but not stretch it by hand. Maybe I just need to practice more.

My primary purpose is to give people a dough they do not need to knead in a machine or by hand.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

Letting the dough age for 12-24 hours seems to make it a lot easier to roll out. I'm told sourdough pizza dough also rolls out easier, but I've never made a true sourdough pizza dough. The longer you let it age, the more it is going to start to behave more like a sourdough. (I learned that testing the baguette recipe in Peter Reinhart's 'artisan' book.)

The type of flour you use also affects it, a flour high in glutenin is going to be very elastic and will bounce back, so you need to let it relax frequently. A flour high in gliadin is going to be more plastic and will roll out quicker.

aaronatthedoublef
          Participant

Thanks.

The first time I make something I try to follow the recipe exactly. For his pizza dough in "My Bread" Leahy says to use 300 grams of bread flour and let it rise for two hours so I did that. I used a little extra water because the dough was too dry and was not coming together.

I then divided it in half per his instructions and tried to stretch it by hand to fit a half sheet. That was where I ran into trouble.

I took the second half and froze it. Then I let it thaw out for about 24 hours in the refrigerator and rolled it with a rolling pin. If I'd really wanted to test this I probably should have tried to hand stretch this but I didn't.

Now I'll try some variations on the flour. I know you suggest semolina to lower the gluten but I'll use cake flour. My family does not like semolina (at least when I use it).

Also, looking up Leahy recipes on the web Mr. Leahy and his acolytes are letting his pizza dough rest for 18-24 hours. I really like longer so I may try that too. But I like to only change one or two things at a time. All this takes time and I only make pizza once a week so it will take a while to sort all this out. I would bet some of this is covered in "My Pizza" but I do not want to shell out another $20+ for it.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

I haven't made pizza in over a year now, mostly because it's a hassle with just 2 of us, and with my wife's low-carb diet she hasn't been eating much bread, so I've cut way back on my baking in general.

Even when I was making it, I seldom decided on pizza far enough ahead to make the dough more than a few hours in advance.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.