HEY KP BUNDT CAKE question!

Home Forums Threads Saved from the KAF Baking Circle HEY KP BUNDT CAKE question!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    rottiedogs
    Participant

HEY KP BUNDT CAKE question!
      KitchenBarbarian aka Zen
      So I have recently received the Classic Bundt Pan - of course just in time for boy child and myself to BOTH be on diets!!!! But all diets must end, sooooo.... I'm looking forward to making some delicious Bundt cakes.
      The very first thing I will make is Frick's Cream Cheese Bundt cake, which I had on our Most Excellent Adventure awhile back and it was DEEEELICIOUS!
      But I don't know a lot about Bundt Cakes in general (since I've never owned a pan). So what should I look for in a good Bundt cake recipe? Type of flour? Ratio of sugar? Other stuff I should watch out for?
      Neither of us has a huge sweet tooth and being generally not iced, Bundt cakes typically seem to me not to be overly sweet. I especially like Frick's Cream Cheese Bundt Cake with fresh fruit and nothing else. Nekkid Bundt Cake!
      badge posted by: KitchenBarbarian aka Zen on June 09, 2015 at 1:35 am in General discussions
      reply by: chiara on June 10, 2015 at 3:07 pm
      chiara
      I also recommend the 6-cup Nordicware Bundt pans. I make a regular Bundt recipe and bake in two of these. Perfect for gifting to one and two person households or keeping in the freezer. Each is the perfect size to put on a disposable plastic plate and fit into a 1 gallon freezer ziplock bag.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: bakeraunt on June 10, 2015 at 2:13 pm
      bakeraunt
      Nordic Ware makes a "quartet" pan that makes four small bundts. The pan has a 9 Cup capacity. I like using it. We have one small cake to eat and three to wrap well and put into the freezer to be pulled out for emergency desserts. The KAF Brown Sugar Sour Cream Pound Cake worked quite well in it, although likely the recipe has a bit less than 9 Cups of batter. (I used lowfat sour cream.) I recommend spraying the pan with Baker's Joy to prevent sticking. When washing the pan, use a sponge--so much easier to clean out the little crevices.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: dachshundlady on June 10, 2015 at 5:57 am
      dachshundlady
      Well, any site that has the heading "I Like Big Bundts" has to be investigated! LOL
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: KitchenBarbarian aka Zen on June 10, 2015 at 4:10 am
      KitchenBarbarian aka Zen
      I should probably get a couple of mini loaf pans, or maybe one of the mini-bundt pans, in case of overflow.
      In fact I should probably have done that anyway. We just don't eat whole "regular" sized cakes and pies all that quickly, between the two of us.
      But I figured bundt cakes - being mostly pound cakes which are denser and less fragile anyway - would probably freeze nicely in slices anyway. A theory I have yet to test, due to the fact that we in this household are under the shadow of that dread four letter word - DIET!
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: KitchenBarbarian aka Zen on June 10, 2015 at 4:07 am
      KitchenBarbarian aka Zen
      Duly bookmarked. Oddly, however, she doesn't have actual recipes posted for all of the cakes. I don't think any of the 2010 cakes have recipes posted - at least not the ones I was interested in.
      I think I found the one for the Lemon Bundt Cake, since she identified it as originally being a Woman's Day recipe - of course I don't get any modifications she may have made that way, but its something.
      But I couldn't identify the "Lemon Curd Pound Cake Bundt" at all.
      I looked through the 2009 recipes, the 2010 recipes (which seem to all be missing), and the 2013 recipes. I will need to spend some more time on that site, LOL!
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: KitchenBarbarian aka Zen on June 10, 2015 at 4:04 am
      KitchenBarbarian aka Zen
      Thanks, KP. You are always helpful to everyone who asks. Hope you are doing well in your new surroundings.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: bakeraunt on June 10, 2015 at 12:12 am
      bakeraunt
      I think that every bundt cake recipe should specify the volume (number of cups) the pan holds. I keep the "wrapping" for every Nordic pan I get, so that I have the volume number handy. Usually the recipe that comes with the pan works, but I and some others have had cases where the recipe was not properly sized for the pan.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: chiara on June 09, 2015 at 11:45 pm
      chiara
      I have heard problems of recipes overflowing Bundt pans. I make a lot of Bundt cakes and have a lot of Bundt pans (mostly Nordicware) and never had that problem.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: omaria on June 09, 2015 at 10:05 pm
      omaria
      Wow Jan, that is some site ! I will have to expand my bundt cake repetoire .
      Livingwell, I don't know the answer about what size pan to use.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: Livingwell on June 09, 2015 at 8:35 pm
      Livingwell
      Oh my gosh, that site looks good! I have one quick question about traditional Bundt pans. The recipes (and many others I've run across over the years) say to use a 10-inch Bundt pan, but some of the cakes in the photos are noticeably taller than others. Both of my classic Bundt pans are 10-inches across, but one holds 10-12 cups of batter and one holds 12-15 cups. Wouldn't it be better to say use a 10-inch 15 cup Bundt pan, so people like me aren't confused?? Maybe there's a rule of thumb that I don't know about on how to determine which size pan to use.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: robinwaban on June 09, 2015 at 6:54 pm
      robinwaban
      Jan- that is one dangerous web site. Ooh-la-la! Gonna have some fun!
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: hickeyja on June 09, 2015 at 2:53 pm
      hickeyja
      Zen,
      Here is a good place to start for bundt recipes: http://www.foodlibrarian.com/p/i-like-big-bundts.html
      I have had good luck with recipes from this site, tho I have not yet tried any of these bundt recipes. If you do try some of them, please let me know how they work for you. Jan
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: KIDPIZZA on June 09, 2015 at 2:47 pm
      KIDPIZZA
      KitchenBarbarian aka Zen:
      Good morning Zelda. I will try to answer your questions as I know from studies in the past that I did for other members who failed in their baking.
      You know as much about it as I do. Perhaps you have forgotten some of the very important aspics of baking in these pans. This info will then act as a reminder for you.
      If a recipe is out balance say the sugar amounts to 150 / 160% of the weight of the flour (HI~RATIO)
      recipe As you know it will fail in a regular cake pan. Why, the sugar does not melt in the allotted time when the cake has finished baking. However, in a bundt pan, the heat heats it from 4, sides....Hence, the sugar will melt 100%. This is a very good reason why we should place the sugar in a food processor to reduce the diameter of the sugar beads. It will have an easier time to melt. The recipes that you will find for bundt pans will have 3, cups sugar (21,oz) & approx. 3 to 3,1/4 cups of flour. This is typical of many recipes especially the cream cheese recipes that are very popular
      I would strongly suggest in employing BLEACHED FLOUR if your recipe uses a solid fat ie, butter, margarine, ete. To cream the fat & sugar the fat should be at 65 / 67 degrees.
      Just as a reminder to you, use a smaller type of brush applying your pan release grease. These pans have been creviced in very unusual designs...you cannot miss a spot.
      Zelda, I do not have any particular recipes for you. I did not bake this type of product because being just my self I would bake muffins & small loaf cakes to gift to my friends. My favorite would have been a choco marbled cake made in a bundt pan. I think any pound cake & muffin recipe will bake in a bundt pan, but the baking time would be reduced...I also believe the temp. should also be reduced slightly.
      I believe I am finished now. But I would like to gift to you one of my secrets. If for any reason the cake will not release I would turn on the gas range burner (low) & rotate the pan quickly 360
      degrees around to help the cake to "LET GO". Or you can use a hand held hair drier that has a switch to give hot air. Nina Frick has a secret solution...you are welcomed to use her's.....Scoop it out with a large spoon.
      I sincerely hope all this info will be helpful to you.
      Good luck & enjoy the rest of the day young lady.
      `KIDPIZZA.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: Livingwell on June 09, 2015 at 7:42 am
      Livingwell
      Hi, Zen! Not KP, but.... I have a classic Bundt pan, too, as well as a few of the specialty pans. Though I have yet to use the specialty pans, I make a very nice lemon glazed cake in the classic pan. The most important thing I've learned when using it is to make sure it is well greased and floured for easy release or all those little nooks and crannies hold onto cake bits. I know I posted my cake recipe to a few other threads, but this is the first one I could find:
      http://community.kingarthurflour.com/content/extra-moist-extra-lemony-po...
      The glaze really helps "make" this cake and contributes a lot to the lemony flavor, so don't skip it. Everyone that's had it loves it! We're on diets, too, so haven't had it in quite a while πŸ™

Extra moist extra lemony pound cake
      Addie Mae
      Hello ~ I have been trying for severals years to minic a lemon pound cake that my former coworker use to bake. It was a loaf size, dense and very very moist and extra lemony. There was a visible moisture line on the bottom 1/4 of the loaf. It was not crusty on the top. It would be greatly appreciated if you can please share if you have a recipe that has these qualities.
      Thank you
      Addie Mae
      badge posted by: Addie Mae on January 18, 2015 at 9:00 pm in Q & A
      tags: Very Lemony extra moist dense pound cake
      share on: Twitter, Facebook
      Subscribe to: This post
      REPLIES TO THIS DISCUSSION
      Save
      Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save" to activate your changes.
      reply by: frick on January 21, 2015 at 3:25 pm
      frick
      Toasting is a good idea but oddly, it isn't bready. It's just coarse and a little dry. The crust browned up but had not begun to pull away from the sides of the pan, and it still had 10 minutes or more to go on the timing, so I left it in the oven a little longer (not the full 10 minutes). I enjoy crustiness, and sometimes a cake crust is chewy so I was willing to give it a little more time, especially since my oven generally takes the maximum time on any recipe. I must have that fine grained cream cheese poundcake stuck in my head as to what the texture should be. Analysis is getting me no where. There will be a lot of lemon cakes in my future, but maybe not this one.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: karen_noll on January 21, 2015 at 5:25 am
      karen_noll
      Frick,
      Try toasting slices of that cake before you toss it. Since the texture is more bready than cakey, it should toast up nicely. Spreading a little butter or raspberry jam on the toasted slices wouldn't hurt, either.....
      Karen
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: frick on January 20, 2015 at 9:10 pm
      frick
      jhwkdoc,I will make her recipe eventually, though with almonds and whipped cream used to lighten the cake, It speaks more to a special occasion than most recipes. Given her rep, I'm printing it out, and drooling. Thank you for all your help.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: jhwkdoc on January 20, 2015 at 3:55 pm
      jhwkdoc
      I have made Corriher's recipe a couple of times and have received great reviews each time. It may not be a diet recipe, but if you want a wonderful lemony pound cake I would recommend you consider it. I don't think Shirley Corriher ever made anything one would consider diet, but what I have tried of hers has always turned out wonderfully if the recipe is followed as written.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: frick on January 20, 2015 at 3:08 pm
      frick
      So true, m'dear. Though they might have injected a little cake flour, or cornstarch. πŸ™‚ I may eat the outer surface and toss out the interior! Maria made it recently. I'll have to ask her what she thought.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: cwcdesign on January 20, 2015 at 2:39 pm
      cwcdesign
      frick, didja think they were going to tell you to use White Lily :-)))
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: frick on January 20, 2015 at 2:00 pm
      frick
      Holy crap is right. I may try all of them. KAF's Lemon Bliss cake has good flavor but is coarse and frankly, a little unpleasant in texture. Weighed everything. No errors that I can point to, other than strangely it baked more quickly that recommended. I have my doubts about any cake that begins with 3 cups of KAAP, which is for all intents and purposes is a bread flour.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: dachshundlady on January 20, 2015 at 9:51 am
      dachshundlady
      Holy crap, that affection confection one has butter, shortening, oil, 5 eggs, 2 yolks and 1/2 cup of heavy cream. Not to mention the carbs of flour and sugar. It must be DIVINE!
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: Livingwell on January 20, 2015 at 7:51 am
      Livingwell
      Frick, I'm going to throw my tried and true lemon pound cake recipe into the mix (pun intended) so you have another option:
      3 C. all-purpose flour
      1/2 tsp. baking soda
      1/2 tsp. salt
      grated rind of 1 large lemon or 2 small lemons
      juice of 1 large lemon (3 T.)
      1 C. unsalted butter, softened
      2 C. granulated sugar
      4 large eggs, at room temperature
      1 C. buttermilk, at room temperature
      Glaze:
      2 T. unsalted butter, very soft
      1 C. powdered sugar, sifted
      finely grated rind of 1 small lemon
      juice of 1 large lemon (3 T.)
      Heat oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour a 12 C. Bundt pan (use a pastry brush and shortening to grease); set aside. In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside. In a small bowl, combine grated zest and lemon juice; set aside. In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until fluffy and pale. One at a time, add eggs, beating well after each addition and scraping down sides of bowl. Add flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with buttermilk in 2 additions, beginning and ending with flour. Don't overmix; just fold gently until the batter looks well blended. Fold in lemon rind and juice. (Batter may look curdled with the addition of the lemon juice, but don't worry, it's OK.) Scrape batter into prepared pan, smoothing top with a rubber spatula. Bake 50-55 mins. or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and the cake has begun to pull away from the sides of the pan. Cool 10 mins. in the pan on a wire rack. In the meantime, make the glaze. In a medium bowl, cream butter until light and fluffy (I use a whisk and that works well without having to use my handmixer.) Beat in powdered sugar and combined lemon rind and juice until mixture is of a creamy, pourable consistency. Invert cake onto wire rack. Brush glaze over still hot cake. Cool completely before slicing. Cake will keep up to 3 days in an airtight container at room temperature.
      Note: Using a straight edge knife to cut the cake makes the edges of the slices crumble a bit. A serrated knife cuts the slices cleanly and they look as pretty as a picture! Cake can also be made in two 8X4 loaf pans or four 7X3 loaf pans, and freezes well.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: frick on January 19, 2015 at 10:39 pm
      frick
      Thank you. That's on the agenda. I love lemon.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: jhwkdoc on January 19, 2015 at 7:02 pm
      jhwkdoc
      Here is a link to the recipe http://affectionforconfection.com/2012/03/21/seriously-the-best-lemony-l...
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: frick on January 19, 2015 at 6:13 pm
      frick
      Thanks for the recommendation. I don't have the book but if none of the preceding recipes do the trick, I may come begging. Given her reputation, I'm sure it's excellent. If you have a moment, posting it here, paraphrased of course, would be a nice New Year's gift.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: jhwkdoc on January 19, 2015 at 4:56 pm
      jhwkdoc
      Recommend Shirley Corriher's lemon pound cake. Great texture with pronounced lemon flavor.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: frick on January 19, 2015 at 3:57 pm
      frick
      I used to have a book in which all the cakes asked for either XL or Jumbo or Medium eggs. What a pain. I occasionally buy XL eggs at TJ's. I would like to think I'll make every lemon cake in this thread. Barefoot Contessa and Ritz Carlton alike. My poor jeans. They'll never live through this. πŸ™‚
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: KitKat79 on January 19, 2015 at 2:42 pm
      KitKat79
      I've made this lemon pound cake several times over the past couple of months during the holidays: http://www.plainchicken.com/2011/10/lemon-pound-cake.html My only change to the recipe is to add 2 tsp of lemon extract to the batter and stir in the flour and liquid by hand instead of with the mixer.
      It's very moist, dense, and lemony. The first time I made it, I ended up with two 8 1/2 by 4 1/2 loaves and 5 cupcakes. The second time I made it, I tried 9 x 5 pans in hopes I would use all of the batter. I still had enough for a couple of cupcakes. I take the warning on filling the pans seriously and leave an inch above the batter. The smaller loaves turned out perfect, but the bigger loaves sunk a bit in the middle. I suspect that the recipe may be slightly out of balance in terms of proportions of liquid, dry, fat, etc., but it'll work fine as long as you don't use a pan that's too wide. I top it with an icing made of 3-4 tbsp lemon juice, 1 tbsp butter, and somewhere between 2-3 cups of powdered sugar (this covers both loaves and any extra cupcakes), but for extra moisture, you could brush it with a lemon simple syrup.
      We've had Meyer lemons in the store here, so that's what I've been using, but I'm sure it would work just as well with the regular lemons.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: Addie Mae on January 19, 2015 at 11:25 am
      Addie Mae
      Thank you - I'll try it soon!
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: Addie Mae on January 19, 2015 at 11:23 am
      Addie Mae
      Thank you- I'll give a try next weekend
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: Livingwell on January 19, 2015 at 9:14 am
      Livingwell
      Oh my, all of those cakes sound good! Thanks for the recipes, Karen and DLady!
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: dachshundlady on January 19, 2015 at 8:35 am
      dachshundlady
      I have always wondered what the texture of a 7 Up Lemon Pound Cake would be. Here is a sample recipe. You would not have to do a glaze, though I do like lemon juice/granulated sugar glazes.

REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: cwcdesign on January 19, 2015 at 7:46 am
      cwcdesign
      King Arthur's Lemon Bliss Cake uses a lemon glaze as well. You can bake it in 2 loaf pans instead of a bundt pan.
      -
      You can find it by clicking on recipes in the line near the top of the page. Sorry, I haven't figured out how to post a link from my phone yet.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: karen_noll on January 19, 2015 at 6:33 am
      karen_noll
      While I haven't made this, it always sounded so good.......there's a lemon/sugar mixture that is poured over the cake while still warm, which seeps into the cake to keep it really moist.
      http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/lemon-cake-recipe.html
      There's also a yogurt-based version (rather than the all-butter version above) you might want to try, also from Barefoot Contessa and available on the same site.
      Karen
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: horses272 on January 19, 2015 at 5:37 am
      horses272
      This sounds wonderful!
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT

Spread the word
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.