Happy Pie Day

Home Forums General Discussions Happy Pie Day

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Today 3.14 is Pie (Pi) day! (I wonder if some less precise people in Europe celebrate Pi day on July 22nd?)

I'm thinking about making a steak-and-mushroom pie, using a hot water crust.

King Arthur Flour has a sale $3.14 shipping on an order of $31.41 or more.

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by Mike Nolan.
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by Mike Nolan.
      RiversideLen
      Participant

Thanks for the info on KAF shipping, Mike, I'm low on rye flour, order placed.

aaronatthedoublef
        Participant

Any suggestions for what kind of rye flour to order?

RiversideLen
          Participant

Aaron, when I first started ordering rye from KAF I didn't know which one to get so I punted down the middle and got the medium rye. After a while I would use a 50/50 mix of KAF medium rye and pumpernickel, which is their whole grain rye. The past year or so I've just been using their pumpernickel. Which one to order though depends on your preference and what recipe you like to use. In Reinhart's BBA he calls for light rye for the marble rye bread. I've never used their light rye which is now called white rye nor have I used their rye blend, so I can't advise you on those.

BakerAunt
            Participant

I order my medium rye flour from them, and I usually mix it with Bob's Red Mill Dark Rye flour.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by BakerAunt. Reason: fixed typo
              Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

I've made Peter's Marbled Rye bread with medium rye flour, with pumpernickel flour and with freshly ground rye berries using the coarsest setting on my flour mill, and I usually alter the ratio of rye to wheat flour to increase the amount of rye flour in the bread, that recipe always comes out great.

RiversideLen
                Participant

I didn't have pie on this pi day but I'd like to make amends, let me know when cake day comes around.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

I placed a KAF order today, too, because I was running low on pastry flour. I also ordered semolina and durum flour because my challenge for the next few months is to try to come up with a bread similar to the semolina bread at McGinnis Sisters in Pittsburgh.

They also had a new 8 x 18 perforated flatbread pizza pan, that I ordered because that's the perfect size for the smaller of my two ovens. I might even make pizza on it. 🙂

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

Google says National Cake Day is Sunday, November 26th. (Didn't know there was one, did you?)

RiversideLen
                      Participant

I'm pretty sure just about every food item has it's day.

Pyewacket
                        Participant

Not anchovies! I'm sure there's no special day for anchovies! Yuck!

Apparently the time must have changed recently too. I know this must be so because the clock in my car seems to be correct again.

aaronatthedoublef
                          Participant

Here is a very comprehensive list of food days.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

According to Aaron's list, March is, among other things, National Flour Month. On this site, it is safe to say that we are observing it!

RiversideLen
                              Participant

My birthday is chocolate chip day, SCORE!!!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.